1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rates on skin mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JF5, Oct 2, 2014.

1. JF5

JF5 New Member

Hi Guys....Jason here, a newbie and not a taxidermist, just an outdoorsman.

Just curious....what is a good "rate" for a walleye skin mount? I know its subjective but here are some details...

-Fish is 31"/Over 10lbs
    -Hand panted
    -Fins, tail, and head custom molded
    -6-8 Month Turn around

My existing guy is great but hasn't done many walleyes. I am shopping around and got some quotes, some quite pricey. But I don't want crap work either and want to get a quality mount to last a lifetime. Ballpark figures would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

$12-15 inch without habitat

3. JF5

JF5 New Member

Thanks for your input Wild Brookies.

4. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

I get $15 an inch and the price starts at $150 for those fish under 10"s.

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hello Jason
    Check out peoples mounts and not by price
    You get what you pay for
    For the most part
    Research your taxidermist
    Ask him questions
    Does he know fish anatomy?

Carl

6. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I am curious why an articial head and fins would be used on this fish myself. Not saying he doesn't know what he is doing, just curious.

7. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

The going rate for high quality mounts starts at $15 and goes up and over $40 per in.

"hand painted" really means nothing. All fish taxidermists use a mix of airbrush and hand brushes when painting fish

Molding the fins and head is fine, but like monty said not really necessary on a walleye.

The turnaround is good.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree on viewing the artist's work, that really should be the most important thing when deciding on the artist to do the work for you. A cheap price and high end quality usually are never together and honestly, there is no going rate for that kind of talent.

9. I agree with all of what Matt said. You'll probably find that it will cost less if the fins and head are not custom molded; that adds a good deal to the price due to the extra time and materials involved.

10. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Do as a new business owner should do . Do a market survey in your area and see what the average is and most importantly PUT EYES ON THEIR WORK ! Not what they have on their web site but what they have in their shop ! Remember this is your "trophy" and you'll want it to reflect the memories of your adventure to the best of the chosen taxidermists abilities !

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Good advice from Aaron……….but there seem to be some contradictions here. You seem to be giving stats for "your" taxidermist without the price he asks. Then, you want quotes for similar work? Most of us would not use an artificial head or fins on a walleye. Prices are usually per inch of length, period. $15 per inch would be a good norm. I do them for $11 and am no slacker. Just retired.LOL

The whole pricing thing has been beaten to death on here.

Aaron gave perhaps the best answer.

12. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

$525 as needed

13. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Good advice given here, but the prices will go up and down depending on the area you live in and the taxidermist. If you live in "SLUM HOLLOW AMERICA" where the salaries are low, that taxidermist has set his prices based on his overhead, etc. (or should have). However if you live in a more affluent area of the country, those taxidermists have to adjust their prices to match their overhead and still make a living wage. So price is not the question you should be asking to see their work and then compare the work and the price. Good luck.....here in NH my current price is $19 per inch skin or repro. JL :)

14. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Not so. I've seen quite a few locally that were never touched by hand brushes (or finger paints, etc) of any sort. Oh, they are the local favorites too. I wouldn't say its for superior quality, but some I suppose would say that is just my opinion.

You've done a smart thing JF5, conducting some taxidermy research. I, as others, suggest you take it beyond price comparison and get a good understanding of what you can get for what you are willing to pay. Then you can make the best decision for you.

Best, Scott

15. $500 skin mount using real fins and head. Probably uses artificial head because he doesn't want to take the time to flesh out the real head...only reason I can think of.

16. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Maybe he/she is very skilled at molding and casting and not as skilled at sculpting and rebuilding. There is more to getting it right than just fleshing.

17. I mold and cast my fins and heads and I charge for it. Just the way I do it but it's bot needed.

18. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've got to disagree with the whole "you get what you pay for". I charge 8 bucks an inch and I know my fish will match up to any ones fish. Heck a 31 inch walleye is 250 bucks in my pocket. I charged 8 per inch during 9/11 and never went up from there. The economy tanked and seams like it never really bounced back . And also I do it now as a hobby. No longer full time.

19. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

Who of us taxidermist lives in "SLUM HOLLOW" as "JL" puts it. For those of us who do live in slum hollow...does that mean that we charge less because we don't do as good a work as others on here seem to think that we do. I don't know about you JL...but I get 23.00 an inch for skin mounts and 30.00 an inch for replicas. And I live in slum hollow.

20. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I would put airbrush and handbrush/finger paint in the same category for this purpose.I have seen just as many messed up paint jobs with people" hand painting" with brushes and finger paints as I have seen with just airbrush. As a matter of fact, most peoples attempts at scale tipping with a brush produce sub par results or are way over killed. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, the results are fantastic....but that can be hard to find.