1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Alligator hide

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by jimmy s., Oct 3, 2014.

1. Ok So I just filled my GA gator tag and am looking to tan it. I have a few questions on fleshing it and hope some of you that have done this before can help.

1. What is the best way to get everything out of the back to make sure its good to go when I salt it? At what point do I know Im done with the back?

2. Is there a good way to get the meat etc out towards the tip of the tail? I can see this part being a bad word too.

3. A good tannery to use for this?

Attached Files:

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

First off nice gator.
    1) I use a fish scraper http://www.mckenziesp.com/T7242-P19826.aspx It looks like it would be allot of work but it's not as much as you may think. The flesh comes off relatively easy and it's very easy to tell when you are have it off the hide. The head is a differant story. I split the scoots or fins that stick up along the tail with a scalpel so the tan can get to them.
    2) The tip of the tail is no differant then skinning a toe out. Just take your time.
    3) I send mine to The Wildlife Gallery 801 Rice St. Leslie, MI 49251 http://www.thewildlifegallery.com/tannery/shipping_info.html they have done a great job on the 8 I have sent them. Leave the head on they can tan it that way and it is a lot less work for you when mounting.

3. The curves on a mini flesher work well to if you can stand the mess.

4. Thanks I was happy with him. All I'm tanning is the base of his neck to his tail. The head isn't attached. I just wanted to get a game plan before I started. It seems the back will be very hard to do. I intend to pressure wash the rest just figured that wouldn't work on the back. Thanks for all the help guys

5. capnmike

capnmike New Member

The pressure washer works fine on the back. Just do like rbear said and get up in the fins with a scalpel. You leave the scutes in on the back which are the bony plates. It's not as hard as your thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Seminole Fur Dressing in Phenix City, AL tans gators. They are possibly closer to you than other tanneries.

7. thank you guys all very much. I assumed when skinning it those fins were going to be heck to get fleshed

8. [​IMG]. 9 footer I fleshed with the pressure washer!

9. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Joe that looks perfict.
    Ralph