1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tannery Question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by gnatboy911, Oct 6, 2014.

1. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Member

Hey guys,

So I thought this forum would be a good place to pose this question. I have a bear hide that was given to me. I skinned the hide, split pads to remove feet, etc. Then froze the hide. I did not flesh it. I also have a couple skunk pelts that are frozen as well.

I know that most tanneries prefer that hides are fleshed, dried, etc. I don't know how to flesh things proficiently yet, and I don't want to practice on these.

I would like to get them tanned and use for wall hangings, not taxidermy (no bear rug).

Do you guys know of a tannery (preferably somewhere in western US) That will flesh the hides along with tanning them? I know that it will cost me extra but thats ok.

I live in western Colorado.

Thanks for any info.

Nate.

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Most tanneries will do this for you at a cost. Check the upper Rt corner of the screen under "suppliers" you may find one close to you.
    Ralph

3. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Member

Thanks Ralph!

4. These people do it.... http://www.thewildlifegallery.com/tannery/skin_n_tan.html

However they do wet tans(possibly dry tan at request), and I think you'd want a "dry tan" for a wall-hanger, as dry tans usually stay pliable and soft. Wet tans tend to be more rigid.

5. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I have been taking my hides to Wildlife when it was still Modern Fur Dressing. They do a great job and they will dry tan.
    Ralph