1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

small spike deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jk, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jk

jk Active Member

I just got in a 4" spike wt deer. It is a youngsters first deer. They want a shoulder mount. I have a doe form that will fit it. Does anyone know of any issues with using for this deer. I know that a doe and buck are much different in muscle definition but I think a young deer like this would be close. I know I will need to add a wood block to attach antlers. I have had this form for years, so would like to use it, any thoughts??
    J

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Ask the customer if its OK to use a doe form on there buck ; you might get some bad feed back . :)

3. First deer, do it right all the way and he will always come back, making something work then he will not and you lost the family work too.

4. Order the right form and make habitat rocks out of the doe form.

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

X2 what ccook63 said .

6. X3

7. X4, I do alot of 1st deer for kids, ilove it, we take 100.00 off on there first shoulder mount. As stated,do an exceptional job on this one and you'll have a customer for life.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The face shapes are different on the forms, don't take shortcuts on any deer, especially on a first mount for a youth, everyone in the family will see this mount, and your name will be on it. I shutter to think that you even had the notion to shortcut the job.

9. James Supply in Mississippi has some very small buck forms.
    www.jamestaxidermysupply.com

10. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I would never ask the customer a question like this. You are the expert in their eyes, that is why they brought the deer to you in the first place. I try to keep my clients informed on some things and act like i know it all.

11. jk

jk Active Member

The measurements that I took off the deer are 6" by 13" neck. This is a really small form. The smallest neck circ. I have found is around 16". I know this project is going to take some alterations and I have no problem with this. My thought is this, what is going to produce the best mount, #1 altering a buck form down to size or #2 altering a doe form that is the right size and adding masculine features. Rest assured, I would never ask the customer this, this is my call, and I want to produce the best mount for him. I only mentioned the doe form since I already have it and it is the right turn as well. In the end the mount will look great, I just wanted to see if anyone has run into this before and what they did and how it looked in the end.
    J

12. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Second 2 Nature supply has a 6" by 13 3/4" in the 4000 series manikins...there is also a 6 x 14 in the same series. I would dry preserve it and you'll have all the stretch you need.

13. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

That small perhaps a cous form? Can't believe you would think a doe form is "close enough" though.

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Research Mannikins. Frazier whitetail. 5 3/4 x 13. Several poses.

15. As Randy stated, I would try a cous form. I've used them on these smaller Black Hills Whitetails with good results. You get the size form you need, maintain that
    buck muscle definition without as much altering. Did you take any pictures of the deer before the final caping. If so, You'll have no problem making it look like
    the deer they brought in. I would defiantly go with a cous form over a doe form.

best of luck

16. jk

jk Active Member

I will check out Research and second nature. I was not aware that they had buck forms this small. Sounds like a good option. Thanks guys, getting a couple of other opinions is always a good idea. That is what this forum is for. Much rather do the research up front, than fight a project and not produce a quality mount. Sounds like the doe form will go back on the shelf, probably become a rock in the future or maybe will mount it up for shop display.
    J