1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's a fair amount to give for learning?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by beagle77, Jun 25, 2007.

1. beagle77

beagle77 Rabbit Hunting

Hello everyone. I have a friend that works for a taxidermist mounting birds. After 10 years I happen I bump into him and talking here and there I mentioned that I'm interested in learning to mount pheasants. He offered to teach me for the entire day in mounting pheasants (He's won quite a few Master's 1st places). I said I would pay, but he said not to worry. I'm not like that so what would be an ideal amount. I'm just curious on respones. I was thinking $150. Keep in mind I have a basic knowledge and havemounted birds before, but nothing great. Is that a good amount. It's near my house and I don't have to fly and attend a school for 5 days and miss work, you know what I mean?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

At our State Associations show, we auction off a day in the shop with a pro, these one or two day classes auction off at $250 to $500 and up depending on what the pro is offering.

3. jerogers

jerogers Member

I just paid $550 for a 10 hour class with a top pro and it was worth every penny.

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

About the same here at our auctions.
    I spoke with 2 other taxidermist that give lessons and was told $250 a day. I'm beyond the beginner level and just wanting to fine tune for comp, the experience level didn't matter, cost was the same. One told me that I would get more out of a day lesson since I was not a beginner.

5. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Generally, I would say the cost of one of his duck/pheasant mounts. Essentially you will be taking away one of his "work Days" so you should compensate him for that. Especially if you plan on leaving his studio with a mount. The cost to have done that mount would be the amount you should pay.

That is how I do my classes. You basically pay for the mount and do it yourself.

Jon~

6. Becky P

Jon, I never thought of it like that. That seems like a fair way to figure price.

7. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Frank gets 6 bills a day, put you up and feed you. You walk away with a beautiful bird and get to view an awesome gallery.

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I sometimes give one-on-one lessons on weekends and I charge $550 for the 8 hour lesson. Incredible that people want to learn how to wrap bodies and make body casts the way we did it in the old days...lol Good luck JL

9. beagle77

beagle77 Rabbit Hunting

I actually made a mistake, I meant 250 not 150. OK, I didn't think of the mount that I would be taking with me. I'll change my offer. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be extra generous. Thanks again. I'll post my mount when I go.

10. First, what does "not to worry" mean? Is he saying, it's free? pay me later when you have money?
    If he meant come and learn for free, then be willing to receive. Later on maybe you do the same, teach another person free of charge.

11. beagle77

beagle77 Rabbit Hunting

Yeah, he basically said to just take him out to dinner, but I could never do just that, you know?

12. Put yourself in his position. If you tell someone "I'll teach you and in turn you take me to dinner", would you be wanting to receive more?

13. Becky P

beagle77, I would at least offer the $$ also. He can always refuse it but it might make him more likely to help later down the line if you need it. Also, I'd send a nice "thank you" card/note also. But that's me.

14. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

I am very fortunate to be friends with some of the best, friends and taxidermists, and I trade sweat for learning. One that I consider a real good friend said he would teach me as long as if someone asks I teach them. But I always felt he was getting the short end, so I have been helping him build his new showroom. The other day he asks if I needed some money cause gas was so high, I asked how many gallons of gas did it take to by a friend. If the guy says don't worry about it, then don't worry about it. Offer but don't push.

15. beagle77

beagle77 Rabbit Hunting

Thanks guys for all the input. I look at this way, it would cost me to mount a pheasant at least $250 and with this learning, I'm basically set for life in mounting birds.