1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone have fossil skulls?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by btr, Oct 9, 2014.

1. btr

btr Member

Does anyone here have fossil skulls? I'm thinking about getting an Oreodont someday...

2. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

I'd love to have at least one someday, like maybe a hyaenadon, but man are they pricey. There's a website out there that sells fossils and their sabertooth cats were around 13-15 grand.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Closest I have is a mammoth tooth and a 10,000 year old walrus skull that is mineralized but not quite fossilized. Much like the old mammoth ivory you see from time to time.

4. akvz

akvz New Member

I've got a fossilised fish impression but not sure if that counts... you can see the skull, right? I think a fossil skull would be neat but I don't think it'll ever be in my budget... Entelodont skulls are amazing.

5. btr

btr Member

Well, I remembered I do have fish fossils- I suppose they count as skulls!

[​IMG]

This one has visible teeth:
    [​IMG]

6. akvz

akvz New Member

Sweet! Mine's from the green river formation but the skull is a little... well...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have a couple of fish fossils too. Didn't think of those. Btr, that one you have is exceptionally good. Do you know it's origin?

8. btr

btr Member

It's a Mioplosus fossil, probably from the Green River area... I got it on ebay. I'm really happy with it, it's nicer than I thought it would be. I was shocked to see the teeth.

9. I have plenty of fossils, and a few oreodont skulls. I'm at work now, but I'll try and throw up some pics later if you'd like. I also have a cast of a HUGE reptile skull (Some species of crocodilian a friend of my dad's found here in Florida. Most of the other stuff is just teeth though (Squalodon, Basilosaurus, Megalodon, Smilodon). Cool stuff.

10. btr

btr Member

Please post!

11. Alright, let's see if this works:

[​IMG]

That should be a pic of two full oreodont skulls, a mostly there skeleton in matrix, and a open mouthed twisted up oreadont skull. (the two skulls in the extreme foreground are modern big cat skulls)

[​IMG]

This should be... from top left corner going clockwise: A Basilosaurus tooth; on top of its case are couple of Smilodon teeth in a cracked case; a Squalodon tooth; Next case is a couple more Squalodon teeth and three cow-shark teeth (sixgill and sevengill); Next case is some Megalodon teeth; last case is a large Megalodon tooth.

[​IMG]

Some Brontothere teeth, some Megalodon teeth, and a casting of the Basilosaurus tooth in the case. Oh yeah, and turtle shells. :p

[​IMG]

...and lastly, the pièce de résistance, Gavialosuchus americanus. Well, at least a first gen cast of a local found one. :) Sorry I didn't have a banana for scale, but it's about 52 inches. (if you look it up on wikipedia, you'll see another cast of the exact same skull in a museum in Barcelona)

So yeah... that's the best fossil stuff I've got. :)

12. btr

btr Member

Wow!

Where did you get the oredonts?

13. They were all found by my dad out in the badlands. Him and a few of his friends would go out to a guys ranch on a few thousand acres and hunt for a month or so every year. The last time he went out there was more than 15 years ago though.

14. I have the casts of the archaeopteryx and a bunch of fish.

The only skull I have that's fossilized is an old, half-sized replica of a Sabertooth.

I also have a bunch of trilobites. My dad used to buy me some when I was good. They were and are my favorites. Such cute round things.

15. Lupen

Lupen New Member

I have a few mosasaur teeth, but the only fossilized skull I have is an oreodont skull.

[​IMG]

Its had some restoration as you can see, mainly to some teeth as well as the top of its crest, but it's still a pretty neat skull and I got a pretty decent deal for it, I think. :)

I'd LOVE to own Trouble's collection though, haha.

16. btr

btr Member

Lupen, how much did you pay for your oreodont skull, if you don't mind me asking? It looks very nice!

I just bought this oreodont upper skull, and am waiting for it to be delivered:

[​IMG]

The yellow part of the skull is restoration- the seller said it was about 15% restored.