1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide preparation

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Wild Vision, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Wild Vision

Wild Vision New Member

Are there any facilities that will flesh hides as well as turn the ears eyes and lips then tan the hides?

2. There are several but why not learn to do it yourself and save your money. For a wet tan your looking at roughly $150 plus shipping. I would offer to do it for you depending on where you lived, but would recommend trying to learn the trade. It is more rewarding to me to do it all myself if the hide is to be mounted. If you are looking at soft tanning a hide and really want it soft then I would recommend sending it to tannery as they have the commercial assets that allow them to provide a better finished product. There some videos out there for carping, fleshing, and tanning that are very informative and easy to follow. Once you do one you will realize how easy the process is. Then it is just a matter of your choice of product you wish to use. Stay away from Krowtan. For $20 a good video is priceless if you plan to do taxidermy long term. If I was very busy and overwhelmed with mounts I would probably use a tannery, it for a guy that mounts 60 deer a year and a dozen or so lifesize it is easier and more cost effective to do it myself.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

1-877-tan-furs will do it for you at a fare price. 215) 799-1900