1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Serious Question. . . . . about rude customers.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Michelle_Nelson, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

OK. . . Not even sure where to start other than to say I am about fed up to my eyeballs.

How do you Guys especially the Gals deal with rude customers?

Sometimes I feel like some customers get a little more mouthy because I'm a female. I sometimes think, that they think they can intimidate me because I am female. I swear I am not a sexist person. A couple different guys brought this up to me over the last several months.

I'm a no b.s. kinda person that isn't afraid to stand up for myself or tell someone to F-off. But as a buisness owner I try to be professional. BUT at what point is enough enough?

2. That's the joys of dealing with the public in any form of work,the only thing i can suggest is to have a fee up your sleeve for them i.e.ADMIN fee or something like that.they will get the message.

3. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Depends on how rude they get. You can only take stuff for so long. They always have the option of going elsewhere. Tolerance is a wonderful tool but hard to facilitate for repeat offenders. Hang in there, the rude and crude usually disappear!

4. I would just ask them to leave, and NOT to come back,, take their work else where, !!! we don't get paid enough to take abuse from the public, remember your the owner so no one will fire you, when the stories get around town how mean you are, you will be able to tell your side of how rude this person really is to woman

don't le people walk on you, stand toe to toe , for your rights,

mj

5. Dont ask them to leave tell them to leave!

Also tell them never come on the property again or they will be arrested.

Had a person leave two fish for over a year without deposit, (yea I know) anyway he shows up a couple months after the deposit wanting the fish done right then, bitching because we had the fish 15 months and had not done anything with them, explained the fish did not get on the work list until a couple months ago. He then proceeds to tell us how to run our business and so on.
    Ask him to leave several times, then demanded him to leave immediately or he would be arrested for trespassing. He left slammed the door broke the door frame! I called the police made a report.
    Guess who was arrested for damaging the property? Yep he did. 36 years in the business you cannot please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

6. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

It's ignorant stupidity from men with egos and testicles that are larger than their brains. Their superiority complex causes them to make unwarranted assumptions and behave rudely. Don't do any more work for customers you don't care to be associated with.

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

tell them to take their business somewhere else

8. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Point the customer down the road to the guy that does the work for less than 300 and tell him what a great job he will get........

9. akvz

akvz New Member

"Professional" to me just would mean to refrain from cursing and name-calling... doesn't mean you can't stand up for yourself and it's hardly rude to kick someone out of your shop or threaten legal action against them, especially if you feel at threat for assault. "Professional" can also mean not allowing you or other people in your shop to feel threatened and taking appropriate action to avoid conflict.

Luckily it hasn't been a problem I've faced in taxidermy as of yet, but from my experience with some less than savory people at vet clinics... don't be afraid to call the police or assert yourself. We've had to lock the doors (with clients still in with us) and call the police to file a report on some people in the past, it's not fun but they will realise you are serious about not being harassed and it cuts the horse crap out pretty quick. It's surprising how polite and complacent people will be once cops get involved... :)

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

And ............

And ...... customers ain't always right.

A lot of customers think you are willing to kiss their ass. And for those types and all the outfitters that think I will bow down to their offerings can go pack sand.

:)

Kerby...

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Put a Hells Angels emblem on the wall and point at it and say, "careful"! LOL

12. What way are they being rude? Sexist or other? I got to the point when it comes to "other" rude to just explain that's my shop policy and if they do not like it they were welcome to take their work elsewhere.
    As far as "sexist" I guess I have been blessed or I am really ugly because I seldom have those comments. Most men may mention they are surprised a woman does it but women do pay more attention to the details etc etc. I have had one or two mention other sorts of things, but I guess I would just says Thanks! My husband says the same thing! 8)

13. I think there will always be those few who think you are a push-over and can haggle you on price or turn-around. I'm sure man-taxidermists have to deal with it occasionally also. I am not a people-person and so do not have the patience for those types. If you're not hurting for work do as others mentioned and suggest they could take their business elsewhere.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Take their mount after it is done to a birthday party and use it for a pinata, film it and email it to the customer, and they can come get it the next day after the candy is knocked out of it..

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If there is an issue, it's usually over price in my case. I tell them "I'm not here for my health, If i was, I'd pick Hot Springs Arkansas rather than a taxidermy shop"!

16. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Yup always about price, just had a guy hunt a once in a lifetime rocky mountain bighorn sheep called and I told him 950 and he freaked out. Said another taxi quoted 600. I told him I can do it for 600 also but I will not tann the Cape and I think I have some scratched eyes I can use. He right away said wait what u mean u ain't gonna tann it. I said no you ain't gonna tann it for 600. Started telling him the tanning cost, shipping to and from tannery and insurance on a irreplaceable cape. I came down 75 bucks just to add another sheep to my credentials. Got him to agree threw down 400 deposit and went on his way. Think he just had altitude sickness cause he originally wanted a STRAIGHT mount on a ram. Now I have him convinced into a pedestal. Sometimes you just need to work them a bit or send them packing.

17. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Life is too short to deal with a-holes. I asked more than a couple people to leave my business and not return in a very polite manner. It shocks the heck out of them.

18. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Prices and poses are always agreed to both verbally and contractually . Your in the business to make money not friends and the few friends you make are a bonus !
    This is what I get for said pose , thank you for stopping in and have a nice day !

19. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I can say for sure your not ugly Sandy, far from it, so you must be lucky.