1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help identifying snake

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Oct 14, 2014.

1. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I'm working on getting more pics. This snake was caught in NW Louisina. It's belly is pink, and it has eye flaps... ( I'm sure that's not the correct term) . It's about 3 ft long. The snake was found by one of my Coworkers. I'll post more pics when/if I get them.
    [​IMG]

2. akvz

akvz New Member

Any markings on the underside, or is it just plain pink/reddish?
    If it's just black with pink/tan underneath, it sounds like a coachwhip (Coluber flagellum) to me, and seems about right on the length. Not sure if it could be anything else. They're pretty cool snakes that are non-venomous and not a threat.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Looks like ....

Looks like a racer (Coluber constrictor).

:)

Kerby...

4. BrookeSFD16

Could it be a worm snake? That's what picture and description matches up on the Internet the best. But they haven't been seen around here since the 50's...

5. akvz

akvz New Member

Worm snakes aren't 3 feet long.

Racer might be another guess, like Kerby said. It is almost definitely in the Coluber genus, whether it is a coachwhip or racer...

[​IMG]
    Picture of a coachwhip with a pink belly as described. Does this look similar to your snake?

6. BrookeSFD16

I haven't seen the actual snake. Just got told it was that long. I'm still waiting for better pics. ..but they haven't sent them yet. Coach whip could be it.

7. BrookeSFD16

The guy with the snake is gonna get me better pics. He says it's 18" not 3'. Here's another pic.

[​IMG]

8. akvz

akvz New Member

Well, that explains why the body looked too stubby to be a racer or coachwhip... looks more like a mud snake (Farancia abacura) with the stripes on his belly and at the smaller size.

9. BrookeSFD16

Here's better pics. We think it is a mud snake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

These pics ....

These pics are better and explains it all now.

:)

Kerby...

11. looks like what we call a banded water snake....

12. Mud snake. Hazy eyes...needs to shed.

13. BrookeSFD16

Mud snake is what we decided. He let his kids look at it and turned it loose. Thanks for all the replies.