1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wildlife Gallery Alum Tan

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 1hunter7, Oct 14, 2014.

1. 1hunter7

1hunter7 New Member

Just wondering if anyone else has had any trouble with loose hair on wet tanned capes ??

2. Only on Antelope,and thats always an issue no matter what you do. So far i've had good luck with thier Alum tan.

Not trying to start anything,however,it may have been the prep work prior to sending them the hide, we've all had some of those also.

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

No not prep work I had two cape s that had no stretch and you can pull the hair out in clumps. It needed alot of pins to hold the skin around the eyes.The skin was almost stiff no flex.i mounted it and couldn't mess around with it. after it dried the hair tightened up and actually held. I heard from another taxidermist that called them on this problem and it might be a problem with the neutralizing stage in the process. My buddy gets 100 plus deer and he had couple capes like that also.I gave them another try but I'm done with them.

4. 1hunter7

1hunter7 New Member

Thanks for the replys.. I sent a batch of 8 in and 2 so far was falling out in clumps. The one i pulled out today seems to be ok but we'll see .. I called them also and they told me that they weren't aware of any issues so who knows

5. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Well that's bullshit I called my buddy called now I know there full of crap