1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Polytranspar

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by J P Baker, Oct 16, 2014.

1. This is a public rant and to Whoever owns/ runs Polytranspar.

Your Bottles SUCK!! You must have changed your bottle providers or the process in how they are made because I never had this problem until recently.

I can tell that you changed from those little red caps inside to the plastic foil and that cut down the leaking in shipping, but after we take them off they LEAK ALL OVER MY SHOP!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

2. I'm having the same issue.

3. I hate those bottles too. & I can't pour them in the airbrush without getting paint everywhere.

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I have ......

I used to use Polytranspar paints and still have quite the inventory, but ..... I have switched to Woods and Waters and love their paints.

:)

Kerby...

5. I've experienced the same leakage problem. Now I unscrew the cap and cut the foil instead of removing it. By cutting just inside the bottle lip enough is left to maintain the seal... Haven't figured out what can be done about the sloppy pouring.

6. zubba

zubba Active Member

Good, I thought I was the only one not coordinated enough to pour paint into my airbrush without getting it all over my hands & countertop.

7. J.P., stop your belly aching! Just save all your bath and kitchen plastic bottles and refill with paint, syrup plastic works good, Polytranspar is all I use.
    From the swamp!
    David

8. You should not have to transfer a product from the original bottle to some other bottle to use it. I myself have my paint booth already set up so I can sit the 4oz. bottles in one tray and the 8oz. bottles in another tray in individual slot to keep them from spilling over. Now will I have to go out and buy a special size gasket to fit the bottles when I but more?

9. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

I use these.

Attached Files:

• top.jpg
      top.jpg
      File size:
      19.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Where do you get them from?, and do they fit the polytranspar bottles?

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The water base doesn't leak like that but then again I stopped using them, not very good, super thin and seems like latex house paint when you put enough layers on to cover.

12. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/Impact/IMP5024FS.html?utm_source=cpc-strat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=parts&utm_keyword=IMP5024FS&utm_content=Jansan&gclid=CNDc-Iaqs8ECFQ8R7AodXmoAQg

You can also search Amazon to find these. They are about .65 a piece. They are for the 8 oz bottles.

13. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

My bottles have always done this as well. Why can't they put a gasket in them. For $12 or so they shouldn't be leaking

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Toss me into this club too - (J/K - I'm a cap/unscrew type guy)

I quit bothering trying to use the nozzles on ANY of the manufacturer's paints. They all suck IMO! It's a waste of time when 50% of the time the darn thing is clogged and you have to unscrew them anyway. So, you then need to take the time to poke an upholstery pin down it to clear it. I would just push it through plopping the chunks in without taking the cap off. Purists pull the top off so as not to get chunks in with the paint. So, now you're to the point where 1/2 the time you need to pull the cap off anyway. And the other half clearing paint chunks to use the crappy nozzle. What's the point? It's much more efficient to simply unscrew the cap from the get-go and pour the paint in. Now the W&W's paints are indeed better here b/c (I believe) they're in small enough bottles whereas you finish the bottle before the paint starts drying inside the nozzle. But, their nozzles dribble and the bottles are so hard - they're difficult to squeeze and control the amount of paint you want. So I just unscrew and pour them all! And btw, I was j/k - I do pour pretty well and rarely spill paint. Try it sometime and once you get use to it you'll realize you've wasted a decent amount of time playing with clogged caps through the years. P.S. I have a pair of channel locks in my paint booth that I use to unscrew all caps. Another shortcut to the wasted time trying to unscrew caps by hand that are stuck on...

15. Yep same thing here. We're in the process now of purging our poly transpar and going to woods and water. I will say when there's no short cuts being taken in the production process it's a GREAT product but we've had several issues over the Years from what I would consider production errors. The first 4 or so years ago. We had painted hundreds of fish with there wet look gloss no problem. Get a new order in, break the seal, fill the spray gun and as soon as the product hit the fish I were painting it melted the paint right off......... Talked to WASCO and got the run around and basically told me I put to much on at once....... WTH I've used it forever. Never used there wet look again. Second a year or so super hide white cracking when it dryed. Now the same issue you guys are talking about here. Was shaking some up last week and before I knew it it was every where coming from around the base of the top. Like I said its a great product when its put together as desined.

16. I thought I wasn't tightening the lid down tight enough. Glad and sad at the same time there are others with the same problem. Maybe a call to McKenzie is in order?

17. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I don't use this brand so I cannot say anything one way or another. My thought is from the movie It's a Wonderful Life where George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) is talking to his father about how it would drive him crazy trying to save five cents on a length of pipe. These days everyone is out to try to hold down costs and maybe McKenzie switched vendors on the bottles and that is where the problem is. None of us out here know the answer to that right now. If enough taxidermists complain or stop buying the product they will have to fix the problem.

Vic

18. Talked to Terry at Mc Kenzie today and he said they were having problem also now and then. he said he would he send them a note letting them know of the problem. He said in the meantime to try and cut the plastic seal just around the inside the bottle, leaving just enough for a seal like Jeff V said he does. I am going to try and get something from home depot like a gasket or just might switch over to woods and water or something else. Just hate to switch after all those years with one brand and so many half used bottles

19. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Look on the bright side folks. Even if the bottle leadks you don't have to worry too much about paint on yopur stuff as they are putting less and less PIGMENT in the paint all the time. Recently got a bottle of Yox grey, When it settles, (in about 30 min) there is less than 1/8 inch of color in the bottom, the rest is vehicle. Worthless.I just mix my own. Superhide white is anything but.