1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzie Cast lip Bear Rug Shells.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Michelle_Nelson, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Anyone have a chance to see or use the now "Pre-Painted" cast lip Bear Rug Shells? I got 4 in the mail today. I've been using there cast lip bear rug shells since they first came out. At first glance I am not impressed at all. Especially for what they cost.

I may have to look into HQ's and Researches Cast Lip Heads a little more seriously.

2. I've used Headquarters and liked them. I'm mounting on a bunch of Headquarters African forms now. No problem with them either.

3. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I liked their cast lip/nose elk forms and mouth inserts but everything else seems fake looking, especially boars. Tusks didn't fit worth a crap. And the boar noses weren't painted at all

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

HQ's rug shells fit a thousand times better than the ones I've bought from Research Mannikins and I like their looks much better than the McKenzie ones.

5. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

It is sounding like HQ is the way to go. I try to go through Matuska when possible because they are local based but currently they have limited choices of competitors choice mannikens. Like research as well but think I am going to give HQ a try from now on when matuska doesn't have what I need. Do they sell that tan everyone is bragging about? Can't remember the name of it but say its better than Lutan that I use. If you can remind me of the chemical I wud appreciate it. I'm at work so not around my catalog.

6. Michelle_Nelson

I've tried a couple of the HQ Bear Rug shells in the past. They were really tall and I had a problem with the skin coming all the way to the bottom. May have to just order one of each size and fit the skins. Not sure. Just do disapointed on how the Mcakenzie heads look.

7. Michelle_Nelson

I've got to place an order with McKenzie later today. Will talk to them and express my concerns about the changes. I love there products and order about 80% of my stuff from them.

8. Or you could go back to the old school way and do it your self.

9. Michelle_Nelson

I could and I have done it the old school way. I have found it benificial to me in my process to use the cast lip systems.