1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Struggling To Get Off The Ground

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by theguyyouknowtaxidermy, Oct 17, 2014.

1. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Think outside the box, and stop trying to compete in a market that us already in over supply. I make 3 times the money mounting and selling birds that breeders through away, and my apprentice turns over $5000 in a day teaching mice mounting,,,,it is out therr

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I would be interested in hearing more details about teaching mice mounting for $5000 a day

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You're giving away your time. Raise your prices. ;)

4. ME TO !

Dang 5 days a week =260 work days a [email protected] $5000.00 = $1300000.00

Sign me up, Piss on deer heads ! ;D

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

All I can do is chuckle at this one!

6. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Again thanks guys for the advice and the "pick me up".

Twinrivers, thanks aswell. I think you misunderstood me, I didn't say I havn't had a customer in 4 years, I said this is my fourth season. Last year I mounted 25 shoulder mounts and a few dozen other odd jobs, i.e. birds, euro, and a few live sizes.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I got a pocket full of busyness cards when I go to wally world,meijers or a sport store. I hand out a lot of cards. even meet a couple of deer presser's who took a hand full to put in there shop. you never know.

8. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

It was a misunderstanding bud. Sounds like your on the right track then. Gotta be patient and things will pick up. Gotta remember too that some hunters are not gonna shoot a mounter every year. Last year I had fewer deer but more bobcats. Thus year rooster pheasants made a comeback so may be a good bird year. Good luck.

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I spoke at a lot of church game dinners, put up a lot of displays at sportsmens get togethers, was present helping all day antler scoring events and even used to be a co host on an outdoor radio show. Lots of foot work !

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Hold an event and get it covered by a newspaper as an interest article with a paper that is connected to the Associated Press. I did that and when it hit the AP a St. Louis TV station showed up and did a spot on the news. Suddenly the news was all over the US. I even got a call from someone in Chicago about mounting their African safari. Just make sure you are ready for it. Once you lite that fuse........................BOOM!

11. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

I liked davehyer's comments which he essentially said, "What can you do to make customers switch from your competitors to you?"

Here's an extract from this website "Business Strategies for a Competitive Advantage" to ponder:

"Businesses are always looking for a competitive advantage, a way to stand apart from the masses and to offer something that's just right for a specific target audience. Therein lies the secret. Competitive advantage requires identifying a specific target audience with a clearly defined need, developing and delivering a high-quality and appropriately priced product or service and doing it better than anybody else."

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/business-strategies-competitive-advantage-4633.html

12. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I think turn around time may be the single biggest factor in getting new business and retaining what you have. In my area there were a few guys that did decent work that have been around for years. Their lead times all got out to 18-24 months because they refused to get help. they are basically one man shops so they are limited in what they can get done.

I have picked up many of their customers at the same price as one and higher than the others, and the biggest reason was " they take too long". Once you get to 8-10 month lead time you need to quit taking work, learn to work faster, or hire some help.

I am at the point right now that my lead times are creeping up because I have more work than I can keep up with. I have just started turning certain kinds of work down ( coyotes, hide tanning, stuff I don't like to do) All I have done since I started is do a good job with a reasonable turn around time at a decent price, no advertising at all. I currently do as much work as many full time guys do and I do it as a part time job.

13. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

The thing is in this business you can never let up. You have to keep pounding away no matter how big you get or successful you are. You have to fight to keep any customer you get because your product is a one off. Once they are out your door you lose contact with them. There is never a time in "taxidermy" where you get to lie back and smell the roses. If you do they will soon turn to manure.

Long hours and hard work are a way of life.

Even the guys I know that are very successful and "made it" are still hustling every day.

14. MattsyKun

MattsyKun Member

Everyone has some good advice!

I run my own (non-taxidermy) business out of my home. For me (and anyone), it's all about social media. Now, I would be careful, because there are crazies out there.

But yeah. Use social media, research other shops and businesses and figure out what tags work, what doesn't, fun stuff like that. Get your potential customers invested in your work.

Outside of that, advertize anywhere you can. find unique places to advertize that you think might draw that small niche group. Try to use keywords that appeal to people. If you word things correctly, you can make something small sound amazing.

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Clients keep you not because of price, but because they are happy & they trust you enough to tell their friends....... that's the only advice I can give.

Word of mouth will keep you well fed..... in the small world.

16. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Exactly correct. No matter what you are selling you have to sell yourself first and foremost. Price is WAY down the list of why people buy and most importantly come back to buy again and also tell their friends.

17. Dave I have to disagree with that one line ! Don't turn it down, price it out of reach or make it worth your while if they except.
    My thoughts are if you tell a guy NO on a coyote, he leaves and takes it to me. You can bet the farm his next deer or what ever is coming to me as well. Yes the same thing could happen by pricing it out. But you gave them the option to decide to stay or leave.

18. michael p.

Why would anybody turn down hide tanning especially with all the flesh & turn services offered now, that's like turning down free money!

19. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the extra advice, most of which I currently do. Just a little update, I received two WT shoulder mounts from out muzzle loader season. I am sure more will come with rifle, or around tax season.
    Michael, I had a client down last weekend picking up a boar hide i sent out to be soft tanned. but anyways he drives down from about an 1 1/2 away to use me as his taxidermist. I done three mounts and the soft tan for him, so you do the math on that he has drove down 8 times for a total of 24 hours on the road. my point to the story is that when he was here last weekend I thanked him for his business. I told him that I was appreciative that he uses me because i know he can find other taxidermist closer. without missing a beat he said there is five in his home town, one of them his dad used a few yeas ago and he said my deer look night and day difference. i am not bragging or anything, i have so much room to get better, but he went on to explains how he tells everybody about me that he cans.

Anyways I just wanted to share that. best of luck.

20. michael p.

Awesome^^^^