1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear Tanning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ada2453, Oct 24, 2014.

1. I was wondering about the inside of the ear that has the cartilige attached after turning the ear skin. That portion never receives any tan. Even if the cartilige is removed for earliners it is done after the tanning process. So what keeps that portion of the ear preserved? is it just from the pickling process?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Cartilage , like bone, is not muscle, so it doesn't "rot". Even after a pickle and a tan, it is still unaffected and still in the soft state. As you score it, and snap it in half, the center is still in the flexable condition. It will dry out and curl up, but not rot.

3. I'm just wondering about the inner ear skin that is actually attached to the cartilage.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

It will be tanned, or pickled, or raw.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Why wouldn't it tan? You are overthinking it.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If the cape gets tanned all the way through, how do you think it gets that way? The tan penetrates the hide all the way through. The tan will penetrate the thin ear skin all the way to the cartilage.

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

That skin is so thin that the pickle and tan penetrate from the outside..

8. I think that answers my question. Up to this point when I have put the tanning oil on the skin after pickling I've only put it on the skin side up to and around the cartilage on the ears. I haven't put it on outside of the skin that is the inner ear attached to the cartilage. should I have been doing this?

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

YES. I was speaking of submersible tans in my reply. For "paint on" tans, I use liqua tan. I put the tan on the inverted ear skin. I then turn the ear right side out and put the Liqua tan on the outside of the inner ear skin, on the inside of the ear that is attached to the cartilage. That way, the Liqua tan penetrates the inner ear skin from the outside through the skin to the cartilage, so ALL the ear skin is "painted" with the tanning agent. I hope that makes sense. The tanning oil won't penetrate through the catilage. So you have to attack it from all sides. Paint on tannage will penetrate skin from any side you put it on.

10. Yes that makes complete sense and answers my question. Thankyou Tanglewood!