1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wow! Like a porsch vs. a Yugo!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Used to replace a cheap ass $25.00 Chinese made touch up gun I bought locally once a year. Didn't matter how good I kept it clean. Anyway bought an older Badger model 400 that had never been used still in the box. Holy Cow it's soooooo smooth and adjustsble compared to the other crap I used. I no longer dread applying my clear coats due to equipment malfunction.

It just proves again you get what you pay for although I got it for a steal on Ebay.

What's everyone else using to apply automotive clear coats?

2. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

I got this one from Lowes about 5 years ago. Sprays nice and even. Cleans up easy. I've sprayed many gallons of automotive clearcoat through this.

Attached Files:

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Looks good. I bought something similar at Chinamart a couple years back but of lower quality I'm sure. Anyway at some point the clear coat started draining out of the nozzle. No idea why.

4. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

I have never had any issues with this one. It has proven very reliable over the years. I use 20-25 PSI and it's all good. I used to use those cheap ones but I stopped doing that years ago. This was around 40 bucks then if I remember right. They have gone up a few bucks since then.

5. Been using the cheap 25 buck ones for years. Not a big deal. Maybe 15 cents per fish. never bother to clean it just throw it out when it starts screwing up.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

So you must not be using the automotive clear coats then. If you don't clean the gun after using it, it won't work the next time!

7. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

I have a sata mini jet it kicks ass but it was like $400 it will last a lifetime though so i fingered what the hell and broke down and bought it. I have that same one from lowes it still works but that sata is the bees knees can't beat it can make it look like glass I also do some hydrographics so needed something that performs.