1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #38

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Capercaillie, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

Most of the Northern Shoveler's that we get here in my part of Washington State are not feathered out. I think they just moult later in the year then the other ducks. I'm not sure about that though. Its just my own theory.

2. Samson

Samson New Member

When i got the bird last year it was near the end of hunting season here. The customer wanted his bird even if it looks not perfect now. The bird lost all its tailfeathers and nearly the whole back. of course the most damaged side of the bird had to be on front, lol. ;D
    Greetings, Karin

3. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Karin, you did him really good and I can tell you, that the northern shovelers here in Europe are moulted out, when they come back from winter habitats in February or March and I also know from a breeder friend, that they have pins till end of February, same as the garganey,

Rainer.

4. winston

winston Member

Took the summer off the Fowl, back at it .

Attached Files:

5. love the gadwall. very underrated in my opinion.

6. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Gadwalls are nice birds, I love them too and this one is made perfect

7. Samson

Samson New Member

Here is a restoration project from last week. Sorry I forgot to take a before picture. This old pheasant was very dirty and had a broken wire in its neck. The tail was separate and it was sitting on a branch with curled toes. I had to soak them in wet wraps and plastic for two days to bend them straight. The black feathers on the head were bleached out from the sun which I airbrushed lightly. He looks much better now. ;D
    Greetings, Karin

Attached Files:

8. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

That is TWO amazing saves you have done there Samson, Ive never thought to stick loose feathers back in I just comb them over normally, id love to see the American artists allowed to do other species because the wildfowl are absolutely spotless everytime, there really are some beautiful mounts here, thank you.

9. Samson

Samson New Member

Thank you Capercaillie! The pheasant was a easyer fix than the spoonbill. Not so much feathers to glue back in. ;D
    Greetings, Karin

10. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Well I will follow the trend we have going here of repairs. Here are a couple Mottleds that we're pin feathered out. Probably used a half tube of silicone between the two. Only pic I have is when the customer sent me one when they got hung, sorry about that.
    [​IMG]

11. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

Well the silicone was worth it and certainly did the trick Mallardsfowllife.