1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shaving an Antelope cape

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ada2453, Oct 29, 2014.

1. I was wondering if it is a good idea to use my fleshing machine to shave down an antelope cape. I've mounted a number of them that I have fleshed and shaved a little by hand. Mostly on the face with a skife knife. Seems like if you look at an antelope the wrong way the hair falls out! I just got a Vandykes Pro flesher and haven't used it much yet. Little nervous about the antelope. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. I use my Eager Beaver and shave them Just get it set and go.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Like any cape that you shave, cut the hair follicles and it will fall out. Other wise I shave them all the time on also my eager beaver.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL First, since the hair of a pronghorn grows on the outer epidermis, it falls out easily on it's own. My question would be WHAT ARE YOU SHAVING? Antelope come out of their skin rather clean. There may be small bits of membrane and perhaps a sliver of meat left on the hide in places, but most places simply are too thin already to shave. I will admit, however, that I use the machine faithfull around the cheek glands. That's a mess to remove any other way and you shave needs to be very thin and it will take multiple passes to get it all off.

5. Thanks for the input. That's what I was wondering, since they are pretty thin skinned already if it was necessary to shave it any thinner to have a little stretch for mounting on the form. Also to show some of the muscle detail. But they seem to have such course thick hair it won't show detail anyway.

6. We shave them on a machine just like any other skin but like George said there's only that membrane to take off besides that it's like every other skin if you cut too deep the hair will fall out anyways. Just be careful and you should be fine

7. OK Thanks!

8. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

That hair really swirls around in that cheek gland. Make sure you are careful in there or you'll make a mess in a hurry..... You just have to pay attention to the way that hair is growing

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire