1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nervous Newb question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Icarus, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Decided to tan some snakes before trying greasy skins like possum and coon, but being the nervous nelly that I am, I wanted to make sure I had the right information here:

-Skin, flesh, salt till dry, etc.

-Pickle. (Should I add a degreaser just in case? These are cottonmouth / copperhead type snakes)

-Neutralize

-Tan with TruBond 1000B

-Oil, break until dry.

-Descale

I'll watch PH and all that, I just want to make sure I have the right process (and product) down. These will be crafting skins rather than mounting skins so a good tan that turns out soft and stretchy after being broke is a must. From reading the TruBond 1000B is supposed to be a really excellent tan for snakes.

Planning to use LutanF on my mammal hides. :)

2. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Anna,

Amy put a nice tutorial together for every step of the process, go there and find it.. good luck

3. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

I did read a thread earlier today but it was regarding Luftan and there was a lot of argument over neutralizing and if you should neutralize before or after the tan.

I think I'm going to order the TruBond kit and start there, it looks like it has everything I need to get started on the whole process, or at least get accustomed to it.

4. Anna, your on the right track, keep going.