1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why??

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by bonus41, Nov 5, 2014.

1. bonus41

bonus41 Member

I don't get this whole softmount thing going on right now... That's all I'm getting asked right now if for softmounts...

It doesn't make sense I can sell a softmount for hundreds more then a lifesize and takes less then half the time to make

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

2. Don't wonder ''why'' just do it and go for the $$$$$$$,, if that is what they want and you can do the work,
    mj

3. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Isn't that a soft mount in your profile image???

4. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

What is it...never heard of it. Like stuffed with cotton batting or something? Explain please...interested.

5. ShamanCoyote

ShamanCoyote New Member

A soft mount is when you mount the head of a pelt and fill the rest with plush stuffing and sometimes wires for the limbs so they are rigid or even bendable. Search Deviantart for soft mount taxidermy and you will get many examples.

You may ask "Why?" but there are a few excellent taxidermists who specialize in both soft and rigid mounts and it has the potential to make lots of money. Why not...especially if you are making good money and can finish them faster? Of course you could always just tell the client you prefer to do so called "traditional" taxidermy (I know some people don't like the word "traditional" on this site so bare with me for now). Also called plushidermy *shutters*

6. skallet roseri

skallet roseri needless to say!

I prefer to do Soft mounts over Life Size. honestly "WHY" is kind of silly question. Why do people do more game heads over Life size or how about rugs? Not everybody wants a whole deer in their house or sometimes in my case people don't want a LS fox or coyote or wolf. Secondly if it pays why not do it? People say its shameful to softmount a animal no matter how common or rare but personally I don't see the difference.

there's some great artist that do it really well. however I would just beware half the stuff if not a good 75% of it is going to make you cringe.

Wolf_Eyes likes this.
  7. I don't get why you made this thread when you've clearly been making soft mounts?

8. bonus41

bonus41 Member

Yes I make soft mounts, but the reason why I made this thread is Because I don't get why a softmount would sell for more money then a lifesize when so much more work goes into lifesize's then softies

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

9. ShamanCoyote

ShamanCoyote New Member

Bonus41: I think it's because the demand is higher right now. You can take a soft mount (depending on size) with you to a convention or renaissance fair to be part of your costume attire. And I guess because the way they lay looks less stiff, literally, and people think they have alive animals.

Kanato: I've seen your work through Etsy and it is absolutely gorgeous!

I know some people on this site abhor soft mounts but I for one don't hate it especially when it's done really well, it's just another form of taxidermy for the 21st century. Kanato is right though some of them make you cringe LOL

Wolf_Eyes likes this.
  10. skallet roseri

To answer to your question with a question. How much do you charge per softmount? If the customer supplies the pelt.

11. bonus41

bonus41 Member

Base Price is 250$ if the costumer supplies a pelt....

I guess it is a demand thing right now... But if I brought a soft-mount to Anthrocon where i normally go I would get killed or something XD

12. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Answer to your question is very simple. You are marketing to a completely different crowd. It is my observation (and I mean no disrespect) that the soft mount craze is among teenage girls, especially those that like anime and the comic con environment. The Deviant art folks as well. You're not attracting deer hunters or duck hunters. That's why you get more requests for it.

13. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Yep, Derek is right, get away from the DeviantArt kids and other similar crowds and you won't have to worry about it. Unless you like making them and are getting good money for it, then go right ahead.

14. ShamanCoyote

ShamanCoyote New Member

Wow bonus41, your actually on the cheap side, and I mean no offense by that, but most soft mounts depending on the animal range from as low as $150 for small creatures to as high as a couple thousand (such as for a wolf), depending on the seller too. I've seen people who have paid way more than $250!!!

Wolf_Eyes likes this.
  15. skallet roseri

Add 25 bucks to that and ill do a head only for you. But not a bad price if your just starting out. but if you think that's charging too much for a "Simple" softmount your in for a total loss. If you don't think your work is worth nothing, don't sell your self for Nothing.

Derek is 100% correct, if your selling Taxidermy over DA and Etsy and you don't want to do Softmounts; your going to have a bad time. You hear a lot of "you should Life Size that" but do you hear "I want to buy that as a Life Size." Nope, if you life Size an animal and try and sell it to that crowd. your going to learn to just skip the idea unless its your personal mount because its NOT going to sell.

I used to market in Conventions, I mean if that's where the money is coming from don't turn your back on it!

I Personally enjoy working on Softmounts its kind of grown on me. However I sure in hell cant wait to move into my new house with a shop for some of the Real stuff!

Please excuse my Grammar.

16. DARKLIGHTJAK

DARKLIGHTJAK To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

no one is hardly interested in life sizes on DA or other art sites.
    they say ' oh that's pretty, id love to get that fox, yadda yadda', but when it is actually available their eyes are still turned to soft mounts. even of the cheapest of sorts and dont really even bat an eye towards like fox wall pedestals or anything except 1 or 2 and they are still saving for soft mounts.

also Kan id still so buy lifesizes from you.