1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I tried 40 volume plus quick lite

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ofearthandbone, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

mixed 1:1 developer and quick lite powder…painted on thick coat to a few skulls that were pretty white to begin with as an experiment…left on for 24 hours…covered each skull up in a plastic grocery bag and left indoors where there is heat…hardly any different than they were before…any suggestions as to where went wrong??? The developer is so expensive per bottle to keep experimenting with so i need some advice. I have 2 moose skulls and a bison skull to do and was thinking of trying them in a soak…can I dilute the 40 volume in water enough to cover the large skulls in a medium plastic tub? Should I have left them longer??? How much can 40 vol. be diluted in water to fill a medium tub? Can I reuse the soak again or is it only activated once and then stops???
    Sorry for all the questions here and yes, I know I can do advanced search…I cannot spend the time to search at the moment and hope there are some helping hands out there willing to share your experience…many thanks!

2. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre New Member

Just because there in a heated building does not mean that it is enough heat for it to work. The skull will actually steam a little when the skull is being whitened. I would try more heat to the skull.

3. bugsandbones1

bugsandbones1 New Member

Did you degrease them at all?

4. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

I did degrease….I will try it again on a couple dif. smaller skulls in a more heated room maybe…I have nosey kids so Im limited to where I can keep them.

5. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

room heat wont do anything, if you are in a hot area putting it out in the sun all day will work nice wrap it in saran wrap than put in a black garabe bag. If you are not in a hot area put next to a heater, propane or electric that will kick out heat should be done in 30 mins.

6. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

take the head, but it in a cooler with near boiling water for a few minutes, take it out and as it steams paint your whitener on, then wrap and place under a shop light for a few hours. Take out and rinse with scalding hot water and bam whiter.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You didn't say that you removed the grease from the bone first before whitening. If not, you are just wasting the peroxide.

Not sure where you are buying your peroxide but 40 VOL here is only about $5.00 a quart at Sally's, a gallon is less than $17 and a gallon of 27% from the pool supply places is about $11 a gallon which is twice as strong as the beauty supply stuff.

8. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

sea wolf, what pool supply are you referring too? I have never found any pool peroxide around here.

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Look in the phone book for any places that service pools and spas. There might also be supply places for these businesses. Try going to one of these places and ask if you can buy a gallon of "Non Chlorine Shock". Depending on who you are talking to, don't tell them what you are using it for (especially women). I generally get it for less that $15 a gallon and all it really is is 27% peroxide. Look or ask for Baquacil or Pool Mate brands. There are also others.

Make sure it is a gallon of liquid and check the ingredients on the back if you want to make sure. It will be in a vented gallon bottle and make sure you do not allow it to tip over during transport.