1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Too Late?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Arkansas J, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Arkansas J

Arkansas J New Member

I killed a deer back in early October. Being ignorant on tanning, I just tacked it up on my shed and rubbed some salt on the hide. I have since found your site and learned that I have done this complete wrong. Is it too late to correct this mistake and do it right? Thank you for your time.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There are to many variables to say yes or no, or if it is salvageable or not. Leave it salt dried and start on a new fresh skin, when you figure out what you are doing, you can go back and play with the salt dried skin.

3. Arkansas J

Arkansas J New Member

Thanks for the response. I'm going to pour through the tutorials and try to absorb some of it. Hate wasting those. Beautiful hides

4. deadthingsmakegreatcrafts

deadthingsmakegreatcrafts Dead things make the best crafts.

Utah
    Oh no, this is what I did. It seems to be doing okay, but ... oh no. Did I just wreck the one hide I thought was coming out ok? The hair is still on it and I re-salted and rubbed every two or three days...

Crap.

5. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Did you flesh it or just salt it? It may very well be salvageable, trappers flesh, stretch, and air dry their hides and they come out just fine.

The tanning process generally goes:

-Flesh (remove all the meat and fat)
    -Salt until dry (check tutorials for more info)
    -Rehydrate
    -Pickle
    -Neutralize
    -Tan
    -Work the hide until dry (this breaks the fibers so it's soft)

6. deadthingsmakegreatcrafts

deadthingsmakegreatcrafts Dead things make the best crafts.

Utah
    Oh, whew, yes. Yes I did flesh and salt. I was meticulous with the fleshing and salting because that's all I knew how to do. Now I have to go learn how to rehydrate and do the rest of it.

... will it still be workable if I only salted it? It's not very pliable, but can it be used for a simple project or to hang on the wall or does it go bad?