1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

salt question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Leroy22, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

someone gave me a bag of trace mineral salt that is dark red and i need to know if its ok to use?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I can't say for sure but, if you received it for free, why risk it?

3. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Just go down to the feed store and get a bag of mix-n-fine feed salt.

4. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Just bought a 50 lb. bag of salt..... I think I went broke and will have to do another 5 deer heads just to pay for it.....$4.34 with tax.....

5. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

im getting answers from ones who don't have a clue if this salt can be used. If anyone knows if trace mineral salt can be used i would appreciate it.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Sure it can be used. For it's intended purpose.....It's for livestock with extra added minerals, hence the name. For tanning, no, I wouldn't touch it unless I wanted that nice red color to my hides.

Put it out for the deer, cows or trash man and buy some fine white granulated..

..and what makes you think you're getting advice from the clueless when you're clueless?

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Alright use it and let us know how it turns out and then we won't be clueless. Don't be so cheap buy the right stuff.

8. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

easy answer, yes or no, all i was asking,didn't need the extra. as far as cheap, i tithe 10% of gross,do you?

9. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

It looks like you are digging a hole, you have been given some pretty good advise about not using the salt

10. cyclone

Come in like an ignorant puke and you'll eventually come back with your hat in your hand...

You got your yes/no answer.

Please look up the definition of tithe..

So you give 1/100th of your income to the church....

11. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

10 percent of my income would probebly be your morgage payment,yea i give that to God not the church

12. cyclone

So buy you some salt sparky....

13. cyclone

How does God spend your money?

14. Hey Leroy, the salt 'would' work but would also stain your hides. It would just be best if you went and bought some fine white mixing salt at the store. Maybe use the gifted salt for ice melt this winter.

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I personally don't give two bags of rat crap how much money you give, to anyone. I was trying to steer you in the right direction but I see the error in my ways now, thanks to you. I should not try to help guide those with less experience than myself.

16. suzzie34

suzzie34 New Member

If you must know, God spends my money to help the children the Methodist Childrens Home were i send it.
    I allready got a bag of salt, someone said he gets it for under 5 bucks, cheapest ive seen is 9.89 and up. in Fl. salt may be cheaper were they need it to melt ice and have so much of it stocked up, move to florida and enjoy sunshine

17. cyclone

Well then, problem solved...Please share some of your salt with Leroy..

18. deadthingsmakegreatcrafts

deadthingsmakegreatcrafts Dead things make the best crafts.

Utah
    I stock up on the 1lb salt canisters from the supermarket - non-iodized for $0.57. I hope that's the right kind. I've looked around and have heard that non- and iodized are ok.

The checker lady looks at me funny every time I come through with ten canisters of salt. I figure it's easier to use those than to get a huge bag that might get damp (it's damp where I live).

19. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Tell the checkout lady that this is the best salt you've ever tasted. Can't get enough of it. Then come back and tell us how it went ;D

20. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I wish I could get salt as cheap as Rich. I pay about $13 for a 25 lb. bag.