1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

EZ Eye rotation tool

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by antlerart, Nov 13, 2014.

1. antlerart

antlerart New Member

Is it worth the $50 just for the tool thats for 32mm ? then there is the added expence for the backs and different sizes
    Or is there a better way to get the same results ?

2. I use it and like it a lot. Find it hard to be with out it any more.
    Makes adjusting the eye extremely easy even two - three days after mounting.

3. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Very awesome tool! Well worth the money!

4. hfparker

hfparker New Member

I never mount a whitetail without using mine regardless if I rotate the eyes or not. The tool gives a look I can not achieve any other way. It does however take a little practice but once you get used to it you will love it. As far as cost goes its like any good tool, once you make the investment you can use it a long time. The cost of the backs is not a big expense to pay for the benefits received from the tool. Also I uses the eppley trueye which is about half the price of other eyes which offsets the cost of the backs.[​IMG]

5. edgar

edgar Member

Who sell that tool thanks?

6. hfparker

hfparker New Member

McKenzie Supply or Vincent Fleming.

7. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

IMO one of the best tools ever made! Love it

8. v.fleming

v.fleming New Member

Thanks guys for the positive feedback on the eye system. I use it on almost every mount I do and I love the freedom it gives me with eye rotation.

9. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

I know this is an old post but thought I would bring it back up again since I took the workshop with Vince. This tool is amazing and worth every penny. Yea I know some will tell you that the eye ball is not round but how many people have actually taken the eye out froze it and measured it ?? The back portion of the eye in the socket is more round than you think and even if it was within a couple of "cm" that's more than close enough even for any and all competition work. I've used the tool with Prayer eyes and was able to make an adjustment 3 days later (very slight move). When you use the spade bit there is NO adjustment your done...... And yes this will add in roughly another $3 to the cost of the mount because you have to buy the back portion of the eye and a dab of epoxie.... but when you look at the final outcome and the freedom you have to adjust the eye after it is mounted .... well it is well worth it... Thanks

10. v.fleming

v.fleming New Member

Glad you like it Rich. As for the eye being perfectly round, it's not. The shape of the corneal bulge keeps it from being perfectly round. As for freezing and measuring, I have several pair in the freezer to just study. I've measured them fresh and frozen, side to side, top to top and front to back and they are within 25 thousands of an inch. Pretty close to being round, especially the back. That's what the reference shows me.

11. deathwind

deathwind New Member

Vincent, Do you have one for bears yet?

12. v.fleming

v.fleming New Member

24mm is the smallest at this time.

13. Are we talking about this tool?

I don't know of any other 'eye tool' that they make per se. ???

If it IS this one - I have it and use it every time. I get perfectly shaped whitetail eyes every time! Worth every penny IMHO!

Attached Files:

14. Hinshaw54

Hinshaw54 New Member

They're talking about this one.

http://www.mckenziesp.com/EZ-Eye-Rotation-System-C5153.aspx

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Always the spoil sport I guess. Rich, remember it was dead before you dug it up. I'm sorry, but that tool is just one more gimmick and I could care less who you are or what you are, if you are dependent on it, you really should spend some time studying reference and living animals. In this every growing world of snap-together taxidermy, this is just one more tool to make all your deer look exactly the same. You can't show excitement, anger, or rotation when you depend on it. In MY opinion, it fits right up there with the eye-level tool. It's only good for one size deer per one of the three tools. Go outside the parameters of the whitetail world and you're screwed. Get a bison, a pronghorn or a bear and you're hosed.

16. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

I agree with George. I'm only very green still so I don't know nearly as much as most people, but it seems everyone does the same thing/s all the time.

On another note, how would this work when the eyes aren't preset in the form? I've only mounted one deer with the preset eyes in it so far and the rest I've had to use the spade bit and I always get my depth wrong and either side different so I have to adjust with clay to suit. I'm assuming it's going to be the same deal with the special tool.

17. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I hate it when someone tries to reinvent the wheel and takes credit for it. Why spend the 50 bucks? If you like this concept, the original method works well. Find a ball bearing in the size you are working with. ANY SIZE. Example 32mm or 12mm, etc. It doesn't matter. Weld a handle to it. Heat the ball bearing up and melt it into the form. It actually gives you a better depth gauge to work with. Use a cheap convex eye for the back half glued to the eye of choice and you have it. The real credit for this concept belongs to Fred Vanderburgh, and I'll just leave this right here for you to think about so you too can invent your very own super duper special eye setting tool and maybe you can sell your gimmick too. PS.....I think it's a sin to steal someone else's idea and promote it as if it was your own.

18. Thanks Antlerman - but I also don't see myself ever using this method because as others have said – if you really want to perfect your art and skill you need to do it with reference photos and pictures are not rely on equipment of things that snap together and subs as stated.

19. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Contour gauges, calipers, and a host of other tools are used by many, but seldom mentioned because people want you to believe they are a better art-est. Get REAL. Use the tools against your references. References are 2 dimensional. You are working in 3D. Does a carpenter rely only on his eyes to build a house from a picture or do you think he may use tools such as levels, squares, tape measurers, etc.

20. Good point. well I use the McKenzie I setting tool myself and think it's great. At least until I've mastered my skills more and more to refine them. And if I wanted to use I rotation tool like the one gentleman said I'd make my own for pennies instead of spending $50 on the tool.