1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzie 6500 or 6900

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Terry V, Nov 15, 2014.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Not defending, but perhaps some advise might help. Bill Yox constructed a tool, those who have attended a Yoxathon, either have one or have seen his, which is GREAT for doing the inner nostril tooling on the manikin. Making tooling so much easier. If that is where your distaste for it is coming from, say so, and I will explain the tool. Otherwise I except that it's not your fancy. LOL No problem.

3. hfparker

hfparker New Member

Well I just finished up 2 of the 6900 forms yesterday and I will not mount on it again unless I have a customer request it. I am just a small time taxidermist but I really don't like a lot of the "features " you more talented taxidermist like. Starting with the nose I find the nostril opening way too open even before I prep it. The orbital gland is also way too opened for me. The brisket looks ok on a long haired deer that helps fill up the "armpits" but on our southeastern they look somewhat deformed. I have skinned 100's of deer and have yet to find one with a brisket shaped like that. The bulge on the side of the next needs no explanation since most people I know rasp it off. The back of the head has way to much distance from the neck to where the antlers attach. The form does have a much improved eyeset and the form is easy to mount on but its because of the Improvements I don't like! lol The nostrils are easy to tuck because of all the extra room, same with the orbital gland. The brisket is definitely more easy because of all the extra room. This is not a bash on anyone that loves this form. We all have our preferences and this just happens not to be one of mine. My opinion on the original post is that of the 2 forms I would prefer the 6500 but I seldom mount on either.

4. I am a fan of the 6500 myself. If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

5. buckman170

buckman170 Member

I have 4 mounted on the 6500 and 1 on the 6900. Both make nice mounts, I like the 6900 a little bit better for northern deer. The muzzle on the 6500 is a little slim but is a easy fix. On the 6900, I would order one size bigger then you need and rasp the bulge down. They both look good with a little bit of modification. Good luck