1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Moose short Y cut

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mossyback, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Is there any issues with mounting a moose with a short Y cut. Client insists on his moose staying as a short Y.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Nothing except wrestling that big cape. Personally I DO NOT ALLOW MY CUSTOMERS to tell me how to do MY JOB! End of story :mad:

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    x10

4. X20

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Just insist back to the client that you will charge shop rate x so many hours just to fight with that beast. I'm sure he will change his mind. If not at least your getting paid to deal with such crap.

6. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Why would they even cut it that way in the first place? it sounds like an epic battle! you're going to be pissed if you attempt that. I'm sure it's possible, but Y?

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

furthermore, why would a client give a flying crap what type of cut is used in an area that is not visible

8. WW

WW New Member

I just put one together that was fully split when skinned, but I sewed it up to a short Y before putting it on the form. Worked great for me. Just like doing a short Y deer, just a bit BIGGER. I'm not sure about trying to manage it as a short Y through the tanning process, but I send all my stuff out to be tanned. It'd save some sewing (which I hate anyway).

9. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I sew mine up to a short Y before mounting as well same with elk. I hate sewing on forms while standing up. Id rather lay that thing out on a table and make a mark every 10 inches so I get a nice consistant sew job while sitting down. Nothing worse than fighting a huge skin trying to sew it while tacked to the form. The Y is pretty simple to do if you put the skin on while form is laying with backboard on the ground and nose in the air. Let gravity do the work for you and if you have an extra set of hands around its nice to help drop it on and get the thing back up on the mounting stand once the skin is roughly in place. All preference in how you want to do it and your prefered mounting style but in my style I think long cut mounting is more of a hassel than the Y. The long cut is much easier for the outfitters and tanneries to deal with. If you keep it short Y your tannery may charge you more for tanning so relay that possibility to your customer before hand.

10. akvz

akvz New Member

We don't get moose down here so I might be missing something, but what, exactly, is so difficult with a short Y on moose? I don't mean to sound as if I'm doubting anyone, especially as I've not worked with them myself! I'm just curious as to what makes it a difficult incision on them during the tanning process... I always assumed they'd be like gigantic deer.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    They are heavy no matter what cut you use long or short. I would say that caping a moose laying dead in the woods would be pretty hard to do with a short y cut, easier to cut down the spine and work both sides, as for mounting on a critter of that size, I find it easier to set the antlers solid and put the cape on, set the face on then pin one side of cape down the back and then wrap other side around and up and pin then sew the seam. If you are using antler pins than a sewing up the incision first would be the way to go. Both ways work it is just a preference. My original reply was referring to not letting a customer tell me how to do my job.

12. Thanks for the comments. I did call the tannery and they do charge a little more for the case skinned moose.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire