1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Aardvark skeleton finished.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Voltrax, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

After 11 months of cleaning, drilling, articulating, it's finally finished.
    He's in museum already.

Attached Files:

2. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

more

Attached Files:

3. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

and more

Attached Files:

4. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Last one.

Attached Files:

5. Looks simply beautiful! Though the replica claws could be molded from originals ;)
    Are the hyoid bones present? And which gender the animal is?
    I assume the aardvark died in a zoo, otherwise (in the case of imported trophy) there won't be anything besides skin with claws & skull.

6. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Thanks!

Replica claws was made just from pics, and it wasn't my work, but my friend whose a taxidermist.
    None of us seen originals, just pics. Taxidermist who did skin preparation, did not wanted to make those replicas for me.

Hyoid are present, and I don't know what the gender was. To be honest, I don't know difference between male and female aardvarks.

And yes, it died in a zoo in Poland.

BTW, there are only 3 teeny-tiny bones that are glued(they were too small to drill them with 0,5 mm drill), besides that, it's GLUE FREE!

7. This is amazing!

8. AH7

AH7 New Member

Awesome! What kind of wire did you use? I'm about to start a few new skeletons and have always used brass wire, but I figure that will corrode over time and was thinking of switching to something more stable.

9. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Great Skulls, I'm using steel wire, checked it in 35% peroxide, it did not corrroded even there.

10. AH7

AH7 New Member

Cool. I'll have to find some.

11. akvz

akvz New Member

Neat! I love the chunky giant hands, they're such neat looking creatures, inside and out... and I doubted for a second that they were digitigrade, I thought they would be plantigrade, but google showed me otherwise!

12. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Good job.

13. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

WOW thats Cool 8)

14. It's looking great I think :) Very clean also. To critic, I don't really like the claws but indeed it's better with than without. Were they totally absent because they are with the skin or did you had at least the bony part ?
    As you may know, I'm cleaning an AmStaff dog skeleton currently and I want to assemble it with wire mainly like were done museum mounts because I like the look of it, it can possibly be disassembled and I think it last for long and can easily be repaired in case it needs. I have just spent the afternoon in the natural history museum in Paris to take pics of the articulations in order to be able to do something similar.

So why did you use wire on the aardvark ? Was it asked by the museum ? Did you inspired yourself with some of their mounts ?
    Are the sternal cartilages real ? It looks so.

15. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

JC, They are with the skin mounted unfortunately, so no distant phalanges for me.

As for the wire part, I was inspired by an article about bone preparator, that was using only wires, being one of the best in the world. Can't really remember His name. I have read it like 2 years ago.
    In addition, such way of articulating makes your mount possibly indestructible when handled with care.
    To be honest, skeletons in Polish museums are crap, being articulated 50-100 years ago by who ever knows who.
    So it's probably the best articulated skeleton in polish museums.

And yes, cartilage is real. ;)

16. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Amazing and wonderfully done. Very impressive. Would love to see a tutorial on how you drill and curl the wires for the attachments.

17. Amazing, beautiful work !!!

18. ostealmania

ostealmania New Member

tokyo
    Great collection! Great work!
    It's your private collection?

19. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

What do you charge for work of that scope?

20. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Wolfie, I'm thinking about book, so who knows. ;)

Ostealmania, Those pics are all from the same Aardvark. It was made for a museum.

Boarhunter, I asked 2000 PLN, it's 600$. Not much really, should ask 3x more, but I want them to give me some more to work on.