1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Floating eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by brdhnt, Nov 19, 2014.

1. brdhnt

brdhnt Member

I am trying to float my whitetail eye to give it a wet look, I tried using a gloss in a syringe, it looks good when I first do it after a bit It just dries up. Does anybody have a better way to do this?

2. Use eye fluid. I believe Coombs has it.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Mod Podge?

4. Mod podge gets cloudy after awhile.

5. I started using "Liquid Crystal" by Mck a year ago for lower lids and tear ducts. Can't verify beyond a year, but so far it still shines. Same application as your using... Syringe.

6. What are floating eyes?Is it just the liquid that makes it look wet?

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I used to use Envirotex Lite, but it was a pain to mix up a small amount and get the ratio right. Now I just use my Hydro-mist gloss in much the same way Rick does in his A to Z DVD.

8. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

My eyes were floating last weekend...had a few too many

9. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Was given a tip to use a good quality clear nail varnish a few years back. Worked very well.
    I do have liquid crystal and prefer the nail varnish.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I use Liquitex. It's an artist's gloss medium that won't yellow and works well through a syringe.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have never used or even seen Liquatex. What is it compared to? Mod Podge? Gloss paint?

12. Head Hunter

Head Hunter Member

Can someone explain the floating eye and its procedure?

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Its just a term for a eye that looks natural in its socket with eye fluid surrounding the eye between the lids

14. George

LiquiTex is similar to Mod Podge, but it is an artists "varnish" that is water based. The consistency is a bit heavier that Glo-Coat floor wax. It is milky in color but dries clear like Elmers Glue. It pushes through a #20 needle quite well and is self-leveling. Paul Borkowski showed me that little trick when he made dimples on the whitetail noses.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

thanks George. I'm going to try it out.

16. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I use liqui-text as well, very glossy and does not yellow out at all. Used modge podge on a couple personal mounts and I will never do that again. Yellowed out and you can not even see it anymore. Envirotex Lite works good but like was stated by some one else, it a pain to deal with the two part stuff when, a one part ready to go product works as good as liqui-tex.

17. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Liquitex is a medium used to thin Acrylic paints and make them brighter and more transparent. Good stuff.

18. Where can you get it? Hobby lobby?

19. George

I order mine online.

20. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I buy all of my Liquitex acrylics and varnishes at Hobby Lobby. I use them on all my paintings as well as my mounts.