1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HOW DO YOU COLOR SKULLS BY DIPPING THEM IN CAMO PAINT?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by deerartist, Nov 23, 2014.

1. deerartist

deerartist New Member

:-\HOW DO YOU COLOR SKULLS BY DIPPING THEM IN CAMO PAINT?

Thanks in advance,

Deer Artist

2. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

Are you talking about using paint or Hydro dipping?

3. Never heard of dipping into paint. I'm pretty sure you are thinking about Hydro- dipping. Just go to Utube and watch one of the how-to videos posted.

4. I've heard of it being done that way. Most likely can find it on you tube. here is a link doing other items that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmSV2l6JFt0

5. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Hydro dipping seems to be based on a technique I learned many years ago for bookbinding.

The basic process is:
    You used OIL based paint and float it on top of water
    (we used large kitty litter pans because they were easy to locate and use. If you want to try this on something 3D, you will need something bigger and deeper.)

Make a pattern using paint drips of different colors over a base color and the use of different tools to drag the different colors around to make shapes or repeating patterns, then carefully lower your piece you want decorated onto basically a colored oil slick. The oil paint adheres to the dry surface and conforms to it. It takes a steady hand, the film clreated on tge surface of the water should be fairly thin if done properly and "tears" apart if you aren't gentile during the application process. Once you have covered whatever you wanted to cover make sure you let the paint dry completely!

6. The technique is called marblng when you use oil paint to make patterns on the water.

I'm not sure if you need a binding agent for the skulls, but yes, Youtube is your best bet for technique.