1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Swans

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by J P Baker, Nov 23, 2014.

1. I know they are not native birds to Texas but cool anyway. I have lived in this area ( Texas coast) almost all my life and I have never seen any swans around here. I'm sure they are escapees but they are hanging out and moving around with a group of Pintail and Wigeon on the saltwater. The Pintail, Wigeon and Swans were not here until the storm blew thru.

Sorry for the crappy pic

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

2. How cool would that be to see those swinging by. Talk about unexpected. Thanks for sharing!

3. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Yes black swans have no problem on estuarine waters, magic birds for hunting too

4. EddyBravo

EddyBravo Guest

We see Mandarins in Blaine when hunting the sound and Smew in Penn cove. Never seen Smew in US waters except the one we shot in Penn Cove, WA

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

There was a Smew down here in Sacramento a few years back. They had pictures of it on TV.
    A friend of mine shot a drake Mandarin in the Delta west of here. The bird was Huge. I've never seen one that was so large and the neck hackles were just incredible.

6. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I don't doubt that maybe the Smew was a wild bird that came across the Aleutians, but the Mandarin was most certainly an escapee or released. I knew a lady in Cool that raises a large variety and quantity of exotic waterfowl and she releases the Woodies and Mandarins rather than sell them.
    I almost got a shot at a flock of 10 Black Bellied Tree Ducks but I was in an awkward position in my boat. I later found out that she had about 10 tree ducks escape around that same time.
    I almost shot a Black Swan in Placer County when 2 of them came in straight at me low and at sunset. Wasn't until they were directly above me that I identified them.
    I did however shoot a couple Black Swans in NZ.

Attached Files:

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Harry up in grass valley got some mute swans last year down near morrow bay. I keep hearing about them all around the state now and they are considered an invasive species. I knew there had been wild mandarins in Mendocino county for years because someone had released them there at there property. Now days releasing any bird here that's non native here could get you in serious trouble I would think. This state has gone non native crazy.
    Very nice birds there. Were you able to bring them back?
    Back in the 90s I was working at a shop in placerville and a small black swan of some kind came walking in the front door. Took it up to a local pond and released it.

8. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

No problem bringing birds or big game back from NZ.

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Sure like to see pictures of your NZ mounts when you're finished.

10. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Here's a couple. Still got another two I need to mount.

Attached Files:

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Beautiful birds. Plus they're huge. Well done.