1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing thread?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by jhunter13, Nov 26, 2014.

1. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Looking to switch what I am sewing my mammels up with. Just curious what everyone is using?

Thanks

Jon

2. juli

juli Active Member

Dental floss

3. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

I've always used 10lb Fireline. But by me it is harder to find now.

4. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Fireline, anywhere from 4 to 8 lb depending on the animal

5. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Thanks all.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

8lb spider wire.

7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

X2

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Guys, 'splain something to me. Why dental floss? I've used it and I despise the way that it ravels. If you buy the waxed brand, it does work a bit better but considering the cost, for 40 yards of dental floss, you could buy the 4-6 pound Fireline and save a couple bucks.

NJTrapper, don't buy it locally. There's too big a markup. I go online to Bass Pro and I buy the bulk spool with 1500 yards for $150 or the 300 yard spool for $35.

9. juli

juli Active Member

George,

The reason I use it is because that is how I learned. I use waxed floss and have no complaints about it. :)

I can get 4800 yds for $100.

10. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I use power pro mostly, but LOVE extra thin dental floss for short hair repairs, ears, ect. Almost disappears when pulled tight.

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

George..never used it until you said something about it...allways used nylon "button" thread......love the floss especially the green mint and red cinnamon,,,no raveling problems here

12. Samson

Samson New Member

Hi!
    On normal sized animals I use button thread, on bigger gameheads (with short hair) like african gameheads I use the surgical suture thread from my Vet. If it is older and not sterile anymore, he used to toss it. Now I can get it for free. It is the not reabsorbable sort of sewing thread. A very sharp curved needle is already attached to the thread. Sewing the thick skin of african gameheads is no problem anymore. It also don't stretch when drying.
    Just thought it it say it, never read about anyone using it here.
    Greetings, Karin

13. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Cape thread and fire line. Waxed floss on birds.

14. dablaw

dablaw Member

Spiderwire braid stealth in the red pack... 15 lb which has a 4lb diameter i think and 50 lb has a 12lb diameter..I use green...lighter pound for small mammals and birds..heavier for deer and large mammals, although i did just sew up a chamois with the 15 pound and worked just fine...

15. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I buy my thread from a taxidermy supply...heavier thread for the big stuff and lighter thread for the small stuff.

16. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

McKenzie has 110 yards of waxed dental floss for $4.40. Stock number S7199. This is what I use on birds on up to medium mammals.

Vic

17. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Spiderwire 50LB for deer and 30Lb for smaller mamals

18. I have a Tackle Shop around the corner that does rod/real repair and has a GOOD section of "line" I buy maybe 20yrds at a time of the color I need. I use 60lb"Power Pro Silk"(it's brown) for deer heads and other bark or brown fur animals and I use some white "offshore" line for my gators