1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Aviaries with Asian waterfowl species

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by NWWINGS, Nov 28, 2014.

1. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Would anyone care to share some aviaries that might be able to provide Bar Headed geese, Smew, Falcated ducks, etc? I'm not usually one to look into aviary birds so I don't have a list of contacts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy Guest

Dave Ahlgren @ Blue Shadow in MN. He posts in the for sale section often.

3. rmann

rmann Member

Many more on this half of US than your half, I have the three you listed in freezer, but only falcated females at moment, and the ones I purchase are not put down, so always a question of being nice enough, if pinioned or not etc.
    I will try sending you an email,
    Randy Mann

4. Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy Guest

I see you're in Oregon and if you ever duck hunt Washington - go to Penn Cove - north of Bellingham I think....there is a flock of Smew there almost every year I've gone. Finally got 2 last year

5. I used to hunt Penn Cove all the time. Thats crazy theres Smew there!

6. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Thanks for the responses so far. I've contacted a few people. That is crazy about Penn Cove. I've hunted it too. I know people who hunt it fairly often. Smews wintering there with regularity sure does sound interesting!

7. Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy Guest

I've hunted Penn Cove since 1999 and seen them on every trip, but they are very spooky and do not let you get close. They also stay out in the middle and not near the shore where you could sneak attack them by hugging the shore and using your trolling motor. We just happened to come around a cove one time and they were right in front of us. I almost fell out of the boat getting my gun up! I got 2 my hunting buddy got 1. Hope I see them this year in January.

8. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Did you get any field pics of them ?

9. Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy Guest

Are you kidding....I almost fell out of the boat just getting my gun up!!!

10. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I mean field pics like this...............

Attached Files: