1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rotten deer brought in...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ofearthandbone, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

:'(

2. striker12

striker12 Member

With a attitude like that you better stay under a mentor. Happens all the time.

3. ofearthandbone

Not to us....it completely wasted our time.

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

If you're in business long enough you will get them. Especially the euros that lay out for a couple of weeks before they decide to bring them in. You just have to deal with it the best you can .

5. Yeah nothing new. In fact my euros are tagged and set on the back burner until I get time to skin them. Sometimes it's a week later. It's cold and those deer capes need skinned and put away alot worse. I have a guy who hangs his euros in a tree until he sees me at a show every year to get them and clean them up. It's just part of it. People ride them around, hang them to age, all kinds of excuses but you will get rotten stuff. Usually the skulls are the worse, normally people realize the cape has to be there soon but you never know. It don't bother me. Just wear gloves and go on.

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone or not? I was reading in a magazine where a hunter buried a deer skull to clean it. After a few weeks he decided to uncover it and see how the progress was. He was using a stick to scrap dirt and tissue off the skull and got a small puncture wound on a finger from a sharp bone. No big deal he thought. What ensued was a serious fight to save his entire hand from an infection from that little poke in his finger. Definitely wear gloves!

7. I have had deer brought in for a Euro mount that was buried for 6 months. Antlers that someone told this guy he just needed to leave in a pale of water for a week and the hair and meat would all be gone then he could get a kit to mount himself to save money. He brought them in to be mounted when he could could no longer stand the smell. Coyote that was hanging in a heated garage for the better part of a week.

Oh yea and didi I mention the last two of the three of those guys are now some of my best repeat customers.

Yep stink happens.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I got an unskinned elk head in to do a euro. It was about 3 weeks old in 60 degree weather. I had to use vics and that wasn't nearly enough. I slipped and buried the knife into my finger and stuck in the bone. When I removed the knife, there was all this green goo on the blade with a clean half moon shape where the finger "cleaned" it. Lots of peroxide and antibiotic cream after let it bleed a while. I was a little more careful with the knife from then on.

9. I did a euro for a guy who left the head sitting on his woodpile for 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Charge a fee for putrefied skulls. Then simmer them, hair and all, long enough to stand working on them.

11. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

You poor Babies, lmao. Sorry kinda.

I'd say 1/3 of the Euro's I get in are rotten. My early Archery and Muzzy Elk and Deer will always have maggots if they don't get to me in 72 hours. Outside with a hose while I trim it and either macerate it or get it ready for the skull guy.

Doesn't bug me. It's par for the coarse when your a taxidermist.

12. outdoorsalways

outdoorsalways New Member

I get them all the time. Also about the glove thing,had a scratch on my finger dealing with skulls and after taking gloves off and cleaning up i got some dirty skull water on the scratch. Two days later i spent 3 days in the hospital fighting for my life from an infection
    fast forward a year later i slipped skinning an alligator and nicked a finger with scalpel. back to the hospital with the same thing. lessons learned. small cuts i clean right then and there.

13. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I keep a bottle of peroxide and neosporin in the shop.

14. ofearthandbone

I nicked my thumb and got an infection bad...neded antibiotics. I have a hard time fleshing the face with gloves not to mention as a beginner I frequently nick my fingers through the glove. I keep alcohol, band aids and duct tape on hand.

15. ofearthandbone

We hang skulls too in the woods but for a euro mount I want it very white...I have not tried to whiten yet but heard nature cleaned they are harder to whiten, thoughts??

16. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

charge out the but for them and send them to skulls unlimited....you will never see a cleaner better looking skull in your life...

17. akvz

akvz New Member

Skulls Unlimited might be a touch pricier than a local wholesale skull guy...

Nature cleaned skulls are harder to whiten because they often have mineral staining from the dirt they are set on. Exposure to the elements causes brittle bones, flaking, cracking, etc... I really would not, in any way, recommend burying, leaving out, or otherwise cleaning skulls in a way other than maceration or bugging. There's too much risk for damaging the integrity of the bone or permanent staining.

And I'm blood brothers with a redhead and a bobcat now. ::) First was a scalpel going right through a glove, second was actually trying to skin the rest of the paw off for skeletal processing, as the fur was left on... I slipped and cut two of my fingers on his claws. Both times I cleaned them immediately with soap and water and antiseptic was applied. Peroxide and alcohol aren't that great for injuries, as they kill everything, including your own skin cells. Worst injuries I've gotten have been from live animals (ringworm doesn't count but is worth mentioning...), though luckily only my coworkers have gotten cellulitis from cat scratches. And, in fact, the grossest and worst smells I've encountered have come from live animals as well. Taxidermy is almost a treat next to clinic life!

18. outdoorsalways

outdoorsalways New Member

I think if you let nature do it for you it will still have the grease in the skull making it harder to get a bright white effect.
    if you do it that way try to go through the degrease process to help it out some.

19. ofearthandbone

Great replies all! I wish I could separately like a reply as I do on FB....I feel I am family to a whole mess of animals at this point...I am merely a beginner so it has been painstaking with the many cuts on my fingers....I have had most of them done by removing joints from bear claws and hooves...my nasty infected one was from being to cocky at the fleshing beam holding the edge when trimming...ugh...I have come light years over the past week...of course it's the end of hunting season.