1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Really havel's??? Might as well buy the cheap a** boxes.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Nov 29, 2014.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Anybody else having 'snapping' problems with havels blades this year? I remember years ago I bought from that cheap guy after years being loyal to havels & after using 10 blades of his have stayed loyal to a good company. I've snapped a blade on every deer I've skinned today.... what gives? Box says 'Made in India'.... anybody got a 2 year old box? Something has seriously changed in quality.

2. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

Snapping problems, and dulling out big time. I can barely get through splitting and turning one deer cape on just one blade.

3. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Yeah, same here. Seams as though I have had a few more snap this year then normal. Sharpnes seams ok.

4. tat

tat Member

Same problems and not very sharp?????????

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Same....

Same here. I just thought I was man-handling them. lol

:)

Kerby...

6. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

On my last box and was just about to order more. Gonna have to find another vendor I guess.

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

They have been making them in India for years. I have five boxes (unopened) and two opened and I have not ordered for at least ten years. They probably found another company in India that could make them for three cents less per box! I have had a few snap but not that many over the years. I always thought they dulled too fast but blew it off that maybe I was too picky and expected too much. I don't think they are really designed for more than a short incision and then to be discarded. As taxidermists we really give them a workout.

Vic

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

;D

[​IMG]

9. tem

tem Well-Known Member

wow. and I thought I was being to rough. what a pain.

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I bought 5 boxes last years and have had no problems. Soon time to order again, and I will be interested to know what the best blade out there is.

11. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

I agree with most, i just thought i was getting too rough and snapping them.

12. Wingnut

Wingnut Member

This is interesting, as my blades aren't even making it through a single Mallard, without dulling, and they have NO flexibility, at all! I have noticed, though, that my #23 blades have an etched "nick" in front of the blade groove to fit the handle, I think they are marked as "rejects"! My older boxes of blades, skin through three or four waterfowl, before the edge becomes dulled, quite a difference, yet, the "newer" boxes are more expensive! I have to keep a ceramic sharpener near me, at all times! Simply not the same quality as previous blades!

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Something has definitely changed, was just trimming meat, hardly no pressure & 'snap'. I think they're made in India via Chinese steel.

14. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

Laughed when I saw your post. I just lost a day of working on some bears when a #22 blade shattered on me, and I managed to slice 2 fingers pretty well with the remnants. I decided to take the rest of the day off to start the healing process. Gotta' hate those brittle blades!

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I use the cheap ones and I've noticed that the #10s are sharper and stay sharper than the #22s&#24s I have. No telling where they are made.

16. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Cincinnati surgical makes their own blades according to their website. Know nothing about them other than that.

17. Why are you using expensive, or I call expensive, scalpel blades to skin a head when you can use a sharp boning knife? One box of scalpel blades will last me two years. I understand volume may be more in a lot of cases even more reason to use a boning knife with a sharpener.

BTW, does anyone have any tricks for peeling the hide around the antler burr besides a screwdriver? Try and impact air chisel with a modified chisel end that's just a tad wider then a regular screwdriver. Works great and a hell of a lot easier!!!

18. DL

DL Well-Known Member

This is a little less violent.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9W9Xpq_yOM4

19. This is probably a heat treat issue and they're probably snapping because they haven't been annealed properly to the correct hardness. Probably cheap steel too.

20. Ya the 20's are dulling a lot faster than the ones I had before and some are breaking pretty easy too!