1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Really havel's??? Might as well buy the cheap a** boxes.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Nov 29, 2014.

1. wayne70

wayne70 Member

I agree with the above. I to have had more broken blades this year than I ever had. I also ordered 2 new handles and both went to hell after a couple of deer. Blades fall off handle.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I got a new box of 22's from McKenzie(needed next day) and none broke and 3 per cape as usual, skinned and fleshed 21 deer 4 coyotes and a bear last week, no breaks but dull a bit faster.

3. I use #60's and #70's. haven't really noticed that they snap any more than usual but the last 2 times I ordered I noticed they dull EXTREMELY fast. At least 3 to cape a deer and haven't even kept track how many to cape a bear head and take out paws. The bear fat seems to dull them the quickest. :-\

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Honestly, because what you call expensive use to be called saving time. The time I could save skinning heads without sharpening knives for my employees was an easy add up in overhead.

Now, you may be right LOL

5. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

I have a WorkSharp knife sharpener, and using the fine sand belt, I can sharpen the blades in just a few passes. It works great and will cut down on my blade orders. I have Havels from 2 years ago, I haven't noticed any breaks but they do dull quickly..

6. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I noticed my #22's dulling quickly and or not as sharp out of the box. Been using them for over 20 years. Couple of 10's snapped easily too. Not good.

7. I thought it was just me. Four blades per deer and a few dull right out of the box. I'll set up four handles three 22's and a 10. Quality control must be lacking they fit loose and snap on a regular basis.

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I wonder if doctors have run in to this dilemma. :eek: uh nurse. I need a nother blade. ;D

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

No wonder my knee looks like I have a sawzall used on it.

10. save the money and go to ebay, search # 22 scapel blades, I buy them in 5 box or 10 box deals for $4.50 per box. No better no worse than havels some very sharp some dull, I find havels to be the same way, sure beats paying $20 a box.

11. Mason

Mason Active Member

HEADS UP! Don't bother trying GH Green Health scalpel blades. minimum of 3 to skin and flesh a wt cape!

12. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    I'm breaking a lot of them also , but have found that by taking a small ceramic stick I can put a edge on them to make them usable , I bought some on Ebay a couple of weeks back and for sure they are no worse than Havels.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

No, those are worse than havels. I almost lost an eye simply trying to make a 'y' incision with those cheap bastards a few years ago.

14. So is anyone using anything besides a screwdriver for the antler burrs? Tomorrow starts the second gun season in Illinois. May be a good opportunity to demonstrate the air chisel and post the video!!!

15. A wood chisel works great for around the burrs. Sharper than a screw driver so be careful!

Bruce

16. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Yes a wood chisel makes it easy I use a 1/4 inch chisel. Like Bucknut said be careful

17. wayne70

wayne70 Member

I have been using a kitchen paring knife with a reverse edge on it. You can buy them for around 4.00 and can touch them up with a steel. I get 20-25 heads done with one knife.

18. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I know a taxidermist (a good one ) that always used single edged shaving blades in his shop. Said that's what he learned using and so why change. Also I believe someone on the net made a holder for these blades. JL

19. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

My uncle (who introduced me to taxidermy) used a double edge blade (this was the 1960's). Couldn't tell you how many times he may have cut himself but I am sure he did.

20. Same problem here, more so with the 22s and 20s than the 10s. Brittle and seem to dull much quicker. I've noticed over the last year or so. That and the T pins bend too easily!!!