1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thawing frozen hides

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BrookeSFD16, Nov 29, 2014.

1. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Wanted to share. Hope this will save some others some room in their shops. We "made" these to be able to hang stuff up. Weather salting, washing, or thawing. We started off hanging everything over the sinks, but that was taking up too much room and sink space. We took 2 heavy duty shelf brackets and screwed them into studs. Then we split some plastic pipe and put them over the brackets. We just have the one in the pic ( small time shop) but you could line them up along a wall. We put a tub underneath to catch the drippings. Works great and keeps the sinks free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another "thing" that works well for us is old bread racks. They are plastic and spray off easy with the hose. We just put a pad down under them and set the frozen hides on them to thaw. They allow air to flow all the way around.

[​IMG]

The pads we use are just hospital type bed pads. They have a water proof barrier and absorbent pad on the other. They are machine washable and can be heavily bleached. We do have an old washer just for Taxidermy stuff. We use them for everything.

[​IMG]

They do stain, and will look grungy after a while.

[​IMG]

We started off using towels...but the blood and fluids just leaked through onto the tables and floors. With these it keeps things a little cleaner.

2. Great idea

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Love the idea! Thank you for sharing

4. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

That is a great idea. I used a rachet strap and a hook in the ceiling.

5. Take the plastic bread rack, place it in the tub and put the hides or deer head on the rack in the tub. That way you don't take up wall space or use up pads.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Good point. I do like how the cape will unfold as it thaws.

7. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Very cool I like that idea!

8. Thank you for fresh ideas.

9. I have worked at shops that put PVC racks over the sinks for this purpose.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire