1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tensile strength in antlers

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by josh s., Dec 2, 2014.

1. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Ok guys. .I know this is a loaded question but if I don't ask Ill never know. Deer antlers have a tensile strength of approximately 15,500 lbs/sq inch or 108 mn/m2. Is there anything on the market without adding fillers that comes close to this? I'm sick of making antlers that you can bend easily. .. or is this the norm? I've used smooth on 300 and ie 3030...I've also used some other things uping the strength and I just stumbled on something this morning as well. I know the big guys have their secrets. ... but seriously. ..ill eventually figure it out. Tim Thacker.... you still offering a class in this?

2. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

That's the response I expected. .. thanks guys. ..lol

3. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Not a deer guy and not sure if this helps at all, but I've repaired antlers recreating tines, main beams with "All Game" two part and it's very strong when cured. This most likely wouldn't apply to a full repro but adding my 2 cents since you asked........

4. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Yeah I can make a convincing repair with all game. ..I wad after a resin that when cured equals the closest strength to real antler. I've done breakdowns of antler material and have a very good start. Actually just pulled a test tine out today and gained strength and weight but still about 20 percent shy.

5. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Also not a deer guy, and really not very knowledgable on this kind of stuff, but it seems to me that All game is an epoxy based compound. From what I recollect, Epoxy resins can have up to 3 times the strength of many vinyl ester resins and even more than that when compared to many polyester resins. I think epoxy resins hold a similar edge over polyurethanes. There are Advantages and disadvantages to each resin, but I think epoxy resin is, by itself, stronger. Maybe you can find one more suitable for your needs than the urethanes you used.

Best, Scott

6. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Your either going to have to go with the higher tensile strength of urethanes and live with the flexability .... Or a polyester resin blend that is more rigid but has a low tensile strength making replicas extremely fragile

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Interesting. ..I played around with thickeners... even though they didn't really change the viscosity much and got somewhere. I've felt reproduction antlers that are so real it's crazy. .. that's what I'm after

8. ljones

I never could understand why anyone would care how replica antlers felt or what they weigh and I have been involved in making them scince 1984... You never hear those comments about replica fish & they only weigh a fraction of the real fish ... One should only care that the finished product looks REAL & is durable...Good grief they are going to be mounted on a cape and hung on the wall... Who's going to be feeling the antlers after there mounted anyway

9. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I hear ya. ..but I'm every profession there is the guy who does and the guy who goes above. Nothing wrong with either. I've got some of your replicas. They are great don't get me wrong...I actually just sold a mounted set from you guys. ... customer was extremely happy.... and last year I got a first place with my own replicas... but im just not 100 percent happy.... that's why ill pursue it till I get it.

10. ljones

I understand ... Like I said in my first post if your more conserned with weight and the replicas being rigid your going to have to use a polyester resin blend to get what your after... I used the polyester resin on replicas early on ,, but when your making and shipping hundreds of sets all over the country you need a material that is less fragile than polyester resin... Good luck

11. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Ok thanks. ... that's kind of the info I am looking for. ..I don't think I'm ready to risk durability. .. and I do understand where you are coming from.

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Ditto....

Also, not a deer guy, but this conversation reminds me of the sales pitch for "flexible fins" on fish replicas... It's downright silly. What, are people going to do - take their fish (or deer) off the wall and bend/play with their fins/antlers???

P.S. Ljones, in regards to your fish replica analogy you obviously have never finished an LCR blank - lol! I SWEAR some of those darn things weigh MORE than the actual fish (and I'm NOT kidding!!!)

13. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Marty, the flexible fin endorsement is to demonstrate that when someone accidentally bumps it the fin will flex instead of break. At least that's what the stuff I use does.

14. FishArt

Understood Brian, but why are they bumping into the fins? ;) LOL.... I guess I should have added "translucent" to the "flexible" gimmick too. For debates sake, as far as flexing and strength goes, I don't buy it. Think about it. Have you ever seen the actual fin break from bumping into it? Rarely. Ever? It breaks at the root of the fin where your epoxy work is and your attachment point. The stress factor at the root wouldn't change at all by using "flexible fins". Now the fin itself?? In fact, if they're bending things that much many of the glosses out there would begin cracking and possibly the paint flaking before a rigid fin would think of cracking. The ONLY real benefit I see to flexible fins is their translucency. Makes for easy painting in some apps. So, my analogy still stands! :) JMO!

15. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Well....I see what you are saying. .. yeah who cares I guess. In my case I am doing a set of sheds. ... do I want the weight. ..yes.... why you ask? Because when someone picks it up if feels like a real antler. It may be a silly goal but it's my goal none the less. At any rate...I played around a little. ... here's what I got. Im within a couple oz off thec real one. Still strong as ever with less flex. [​IMG]

16. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Fairly happy with the result. Still tweaking things here and there.
    [​IMG]

17. ljones

I see now why your concerned with the weight your doing sheds there never going to be put on a mount

18. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Yeah I should have specified. I do appreciate the insight though. The additive I used actually worked out nice.... and I only destroyed about 80$ in material figuring it out haha.

19. FishArt

If you must, why not add some lead fishing weights in the center of your mold?

20. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

The strength and weight needs to be distributed equally. Id still have flexible tines in that case.