1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Longest a cape has still been good?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DogSoldierChick, Dec 3, 2014.

1. ::) so I got a call today from a guy who killed a deer FRIDAY! He let it hang in a barn 2 days to age and it in the mid to upper 50s. Then Monday he took it to the slaughter house and its been in a cooler until this morning. He is bringing it shortly. I already told him I highly doubt the cape is still good. I have mounted up capes in a cooler for a 3 days but never had one go this long. I'm curious what's the longest ppl have had one they could salvage. Ill skin, flesh and stop rot immediately but I'm still doubtful.

2. rexver

rexver New Member

I bet it is still good, just check and see if any hair is falling out. Check color and smell if it is turning green maybe not!!!! But I have tanned my own and some of the hides have sat in a ice chest with nothing more than 50 degree weather and they where fine. Stick it in some Krowtan or a good pickle you will be surprised how much these hides can take..

3. rexver

rexver New Member

Oh and 4 days was the longest

4. There's a lot of different variables that can cause a cape to be good for only so long. One obviously is temperature. The longest I've ever had a cape go was two weeks, and this was simply amazing. However the cape sat outside in unseasonably cold temps. When the customer brought it in on a Monday I figured he had shot it during that weekends gun season. When he told me he was shot two weeks prior in the first gun season I thought there was no way it was good. I pulled it out checked the hair, smell, and color. it all seemed fine. I didn't want to waste anymore time so I fleshed and salted it right then. Amazingly not one hair slipped after it was mounted!!

On the other hand a customer brought me a hide last night that was shot just this past Friday. It was very warm this weekend in Illinois. The hair was slipping, hide was turning green and it smelled bad. I didn't even bother with it. Don't put yourself out. Customers have to be held accountable for the care of the hide or cape.

5. I just took in a deer that was shot nov. 18th, still good, hairs tight, no smell. Little dry in places but he turned fine and should soak up/tan fine. A lot depends on where you are and the conditions. Were I am it's not uncommon for deer to get shot and literally freeze solid for days even a week at a time depending on temps. So a lot has to do with your local conditions. Let us know how it is when he brings it in.

6. Well so far so good, smelled and looked fine. Caped out good with the only noticeable difference it being drier. Stop rotted heavy after turning.... Hopefully it'll be ok.

7. I think you will be fine. Like a lot of the others depends on conditions. I had several brought in this year 8-10 days after being shot that are fine.
    A few years back had a guy call and say I needed to come to his place and cape one out that he had shot 3 days earlier. OK I said, what he did not tell me is that he just found it in the corn field while picking. Long story short it was in the 50's and rainy for the last 2 days. The thing was bloated and smelled horrible green in spots but no hair slipping. I caped and skinned out the head and put in the pressure tanner and was able to save the cape and it mounted up just fine. Yes he did pay extra!

8. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    I got one that was left in a cooler for 11 days, came out fine, but I let him know that he should not do that in the future

9. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I had one last year the guy shot on the 15th and found on the 27th. I rough fleshed and rinsed in cold water and into the cape saver tanner and it was fine. You just never know till you try

10. 30 days shot on the 27th of November and brought to me on the 27th of December of 2012 I still remember it.The guy left it on a pile of wood in his unheated garage.It was skinned but not caped dried out really bad.I injected stop rot all along the eyes,nose,ears and lips.Krowtanned it cause I did not think ther was any way it was not going to slip.It turned out fine.No slip at all.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You just never know, if the skin is nice and dry, it will last longer then a wet one that was rained on, or died in a stream. It is always a roll of the dice, even on fresh skins. Just jump on it and process it asap. Worry about fallout only when it does. Things that make us worry and fret, are things that haven't even happened yet.

12. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

My Dad shot one on November 17, and threw it in his garage. Some days above freezing, some below. I picked up on Christmas, tanned it, and took it to the World Show in 2001. Took a first place in the Pro division with it.

Dry, and cold...and hide folded skin to skin, where air isn't getting to it...a hide will last a lot longer than people would think SOME OF THE TIME:) :)

13. jorgy

jorgy Member

I had a mule deer make its way to Iowa from Montana over a two week period. Im still amazed that it was fine. It wasnt caped, not in a cooler, and it really wasnt all that cold. I told them they would need a cape before they arrived with it, but it was just fine.