1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Newbie Question: Reforming face and ears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by AprilH, Dec 3, 2014.

1. AprilH

AprilH New Member

I recently purchased a tanned wolf pelt and LOVE it. Hoping I can get suggestions on how to reform the ears and face which are currently wrinkled. I found one post where the suggestion was to soak in water and salt and use a form for to shape the face and ears. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing for this beautiful pelt.

2. AprilH

AprilH New Member

Image of face and ears.

Attached Files:

3. JessiK

JessiK Member

Soaking it in water with a little handful of salt is correct. Depending on how well it was prepped, the nose may be a bit more stubborn. I usually soak for 30-45mins and then if it isn't all pliable, I'll get a gallon baggie to shove the head in (and keep the moisture from the rest of the hide) and stick it in the fridge overnight to sweat. Give it a few hours or even overnight and you should be good.

If you don't have a form, I know of people using towels or just anything that will hold the shape that you want until it dries.
    Be careful if the tan is older. Depending on age, rehydration can make compromised leather fall apart.

And congrats on your wolf!

4. I did the above with my own wolf pelt. Don't use super hot water, it makes the leather tear like soft butter when stretched. I tore a big hole in the muzzle and I sat there in disbelief for a good half hour before I went and sewed it up and put it on a form.