1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cutting Around the Pedicle

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by austinsibly, Dec 4, 2014.

1. austinsibly

austinsibly New Member

Hello! I am fairly new to taxidermy, and have been having some trouble getting a clean cut around the pedicle. Are there any tips or tricks for making this easier? Thanks in advance!

2. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

I wedge a flat head screw driver between the bone and the skin...usually you can separate right around the pedicle. If it gets tough, just take your scalpel and cut up along the bone.

3. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

You do not cut, you pry it loose.

4. use a small chisel

5. X2! I use a small chisel (very sharp) and tap lightly with hammer. Work slowly until you get the hang of it. I also use the chisel to scrape downward from the pedicle to get a very clean skull. Good luck!

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I take my scalpel and turn it right side up and cut straight up under the peduncle. then I grab the skin(if to slippery I use use pliers) and poke at it as I pull. comes off easy for me.

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Rock on kflah. Take a long flat screwdriver and put it in a vise and bend the end of it about 30 degrees. Then grind the edge flat and round it. I take my scalpel and make my y incision. Then using your modified screwdriver pry the skin away, slicker than snot and done in a minute or less. Pry the skin away and cut to get access to the orbital. What's up tem?

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

hay tr. just cruising. ;)

9. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Dont make it harder than it is. I dont see why people have trouble doing this, i usually pull alot of mine by hand.

10. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

And I just use my Victorinox. Works for me.

11. I posted a short video using an air chisel if you have access to an air compressor. The video is on the "Deer and Gameheads" page about halfway down.

12. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

As Andy said, on a fresh kill you can literally tear them away.

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

Use a good sharp knife and work your way around them. Been doing it that way for years, sometimes that screwdriver will rip the skin. A knife will cut it clean everytime.

14. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

x2

15. TomR

TomR New Member

The best money you will ever spend will be on Rick Carter's A-Z whitetail video. He shows you everything you need to accomplish with a deer head. Regarding the pedicle issue, the video provides very clearn shots and explanation of the process. This video has already greatly improved my technique on multiple levels.

16. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

i like to use a knife to some have ripped before im not trying to create work for myself

17. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I have a guy who runs a drop off station for me in another town. He was all excited that he discovered using a screw driver, and how much time it saved him. I remember way back when using a screw driver also, but went back and forth. I now almost always use a knife and honestly can't remember why it was so hard when I was starting out. I guess it's one of those things that becomes easy with practice.

18. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I use a bird's beak knife, works fine. I don't like pounding on them with a screwdriver, worried I'll chip the burr or cause a tear.

19. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

After reading this thread I realized I was taking way too long getting the skin around the pedical off. I was using the 1/4 inch wood chisle. While ordering blades the other day I saw these on Havels website and decided to give them a try. I got my first head in today and let me tell you....this blade is "the cat's pajamas". Worked awesome and cut my time in half..plus I didn't have to worry about jabbing the chisle through my arm. It's a #12 and the cutting blade is on the top, plus it's curved laying nicely on the pedicle.

[​IMG]