1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wing wiring for standing birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by yellowdog87, Dec 5, 2014.

1. yellowdog87

yellowdog87 New Member

just wanting some different opinions on how many wire the wings on standing birds or who pins them. Ive seen both ways on videos but wasn't sure what was better. Ive only done 5 ducks total and only 3 standing ducks and the way I used was the pin method, fixing to try the wire method unless I get talked out of it.

2. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

Click the search button,this gasbeen covered.,youwill find alot of posts.But to answer your question: i only wire larger birds e.g. Geese,swans,etc...smaller birds get pinned and caulked

3. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,367889.msg2471113.html#msg2471113

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,326144.msg2223865.html#msg2223865

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,149087.msg1024097.html#msg1024097

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,269101.msg1865818.html#msg1865818

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,366154.msg2460776.html#msg2460776

Those will get you a good start, there are even more on wiring wings in general, I tried to find ones specifically referencing standing birds.

I've wired with regular and annealed wire and I've pinned and caulked. They all work, depends on what works best for you.

4. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

I am a ' Pinner ' ,

5. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I pin them, and then pull it out slightly to give it a more relaxed, plump look.

6. yellowdog87

yellowdog87 New Member

one more question on standing birds...do you guys skin the wing all the way to the last joint and strip the primarys off the bone or just to the elbow and try to dig the meat out? ive done mine by stripping the primays and turned out good, but I can deff see not stripping them off for a flying bird, would make final grooming on the wing a lot easier

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have limited experience, however, I try many different methods each time I do one. What I found is that stripping the wing all the way down and separating the secondaries is my favorite way to do it. I also found that I like to wire the wings. When I pinned them they seemed too flat and I kind of had trouble folding them into position. This I believe is because I didn't use the humorus bone, I just left it off as per Kail Shumaker from Taxidermy Today.

8. Pattyboy

Pattyboy New Member

I perfer to pin myself makes it easier to posiston in my opinion and also very simple. for wing skinning ialways skin to the elbow and get the meat out without striping the secendarys off for both standing and flying especally. you will have to work a lil bit harder but for the results its worth it IMO but... on big birds such as geese you will have to do it differntly and have to strip or make a cut on the wing and get the meat out which on flying birds i would not suggest it especally being newish to it

find what works best for you and stick to it theres more than one way to mount a bird lol

9. yellowdog87

yellowdog87 New Member

thanks for the replies. im working on a hen mallard I shot last year, im mounting a pair together for my man cave wall...this hen is full of pen feathers so fleshing looks like it should be an experience.

10. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

pinner here too but also strip out wings,, flying or otherwise.

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

wire them and the wing location is allways in the right place ....when pinning you are simply "guessing......find txoutdoors tut on wing cleaning......the best method Ive used in 45 years...and have tried a lot...

12. I don't wire or pin. I leave the ball on the end of the wing bone and drill a small hole in it. then drill holes in form like you do when you wire. then when you mount it up tie a piece of fishing line to the hole in the bone thread it through the hole in form and tie together in the front. no need to fight wires on standing birds.

13. webfoot123

webfoot123 New Member

on standing birds I just wire the humerus then fold the wing in the pocket and pin between the radius and ulna I leave all the bones in the wing so I can get the anchor points on both wings the same

14. yellowdog87

yellowdog87 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pin feathers everywhere on this duck, really bad on the sides,I should have put some more pics of them on here. I used 2 methods on this one, left the bones and skinned the feathers off the bone, on the other wing every bone was shattered so I tried using no wing bones at all, a little harder to make every thing line up. Also was wondering to achieve the full chest/neck look to u guys use caulk in that place...I used some caulk and it seems like I put too much in and could have a drying problem. I need some pointers on posting legs and making the proper bends in them too. This was my 6 bird and I feel ok about it, getting better with each one tho.