1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

my first paddlefish

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by westernbowhunter, Dec 6, 2014.

1. westernbowhunter

westernbowhunter New Member

Hello, I just got a call that someone wants to bring me a paddlefish tomorrow. I explained to him that I hadn't done one before but if he was OK with that he could bring it in and it would get my utmost care. I was wondering if anyone out there having experience with one of these had any tips for me? Is there any issue with the bugs eating away to much of the cartilage in the head? Does it hold together well of just become a pile of bones that I need to reassemble? any issues with degreasing, how long does it take compared to a big game head? Thanks in advance you guys and gals have helped me much already!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I still want to do one of these myself. The nose is a mass of fine mesh. It will not fall apart. Not sure about the entire skull as mostly what I have seen is just the bill section done.

3. I beetles one this past spring. The snoot and forehead bones. Beetles ate skin and all. Degreasing will make it extra fragile, be careful!!

4. Sea Wolf

Pic below of what you should expect. Beetle it and handle it gently. You might want to put it on a stainless steel screen so you can move it to different containers without moving it too much. You can also try acetone for some of the degreasing as it will not damage the bones nor will it soften any tissue and make things loose.

[​IMG]

5. westernbowhunter

Thank you all for the replies. Fireman, are you saying that I can get away without degreasing it? Seawolf I can't seem to find any referenced picture. Do I need to click a link or something?

6. Sea Wolf

My bad. It's there now.

7. westernbowhunter

fireman, did you trim it at all or throw in the whole head? also did you degrease? thanks for your help

8. Pete Petersen

Pete Petersen New Member

So how did it turn out? I'm about to do my first two. Has anyone tried putting the rest of the skull back together? I did a walleye that turned out good, but have a laker that I can't figure out yet.