1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need ideas for scoter mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I have a customer that wants all three on one mount. Some one on here did a mount like that but can't remember who did. Any one here have pics of mounts that has the three species on one mount

2. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    You could do a rock with 3 shelfs and all of them sitting with a foot out.

3. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

This one isn't a good pic.
    [​IMG]

One of my all time favorite multi pieces.
    [​IMG]

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Thanks. I'm doing that eider mount for my eiders next year that's awesome.

5. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Is that a custom rock?

6. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

The eider rock is busted up shoulder forms made into rock and attached together to create the base. That's one of those mounts you kind of want to keep.

7. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Great looking mount but would be better with a few Barnacles in strategic places. Not a critique of your work....only a suggestion for the next guy wanting to do this type of mount. JL

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've never seen all three together in the ocean here in NH as I think they migrate at different times. I doubt your customer shot all three species on the same hunt day. McNamara's pose for all three is about the way I would do them (nice presentation). You really can't mount them all in a diving position after the same Blue Mussels. So if you depict their natural habits, you might put two on a rock ledge and one diving from the rock. And if so I would make the Surf Scoter as the diver to show more color in the piece. Just my thoughts...good luck. JL

9. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

They actually shot all three on one hunt same set up.. on cape cod this past sat

10. Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy Guest

Okay just asking, so please no one blow a valve on this.....but.....I still use two things when painting a bill - the actual bird I photograph when I kill it or the Breakthrough manual for finishing. If this in an American Eider, why is the bill that color? The BT manual shows a heavy coat of widgeon blue that is never painted over only paynes grey and diver grey added over the center of the lobes and the nail. Again, just curious as I'm wondering how some of you determine bill colors?

11. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I got the breakthrough bird painting manual as a good start but always have reference pics to make sure it's right

12. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Paint schedules, eye charts, and manikin sizes are not to follow to the T. There are way too many variations to be set in stone. If that paint schedule for an eider doesn't call for any green/yellow then I would be finding another source.

13. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Yeah it has a yellow green in the book from what I remember. Though I also use a picture while painting.

JL though those are not my birds I personally shot all 3 species the same day out of the same spot. First day was a drake and hen common, a drake surf and a hen white wing and the other 3 were eider 2 drakes and a hen. Next day was a hen surf, and 2 drake white wings with 3 drake oldsquaw and a hen oldsquaw (I passed on all the commons the second day). It can be done if you time it right. This was with a different guide too in a different area.

The surfs are the first to migrate from what the guide said.