1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anchoring Euro Skull WITH jaw to plaque...

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by keriWCL, Dec 7, 2014.

1. keriWCL

keriWCL Member

I need a few more ideas on this please... I have used a molly anchor (a large one) to go into top hole of skull but you can't tighten it that way the lower jaw sits. Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

2. For skulls that include the lower jaw, such as wolf, coyote, bear, lion et. I find out what position the client wants ...........open our closed and permanently glue the jaws together in desired position. An instant gel type adhesive works good. Once completely cured I drill the correct size hole in the bottom of skull(upper jaw) where it cant be seen. size of hole depends on size of fastener being use. you want the screw to self thread into the bone. you can install the screw, then undo it and gently screw it to the plaque. I hand tighten the last bit so as not to strip out the bone. hope this helps.

3. keriWCL

keriWCL Member

I have a molly anchor in the top portion which is fine but what your saying is using a thin screw to screw into the lower jaw bone where it sits on plaque? I was fearful trying to anchor into the jaw bone but I guess if Im careful and have exact placement I should be ok... Thank you!

4. Try this, my method and works great with bottom skull also. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,255491.0.html

5. Here's a skull I did. I think they look so much more unique with the lower jaw. The arrowhead is steel. I used a small muffler clamp / u-bolt and fished it through those convenient holes on the back of the skull then tack welded it to holes in the panel. ......John
    [​IMG]