1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning around the antler burr with an air chisel

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by sergeant133, Dec 8, 2014.

1. I was just messing around in my shop yesterday and took a very short video with my phone to see how it uploads. If you're tired of using a screwdriver around the antler burrs when skinning the head out of a deer you might try this. This is an air chisel adjusted down to around 50psi. The actual chisel was machined down by a friend of mine to be just a hair bigger than a regular screwdriver.

Once I make my initial "Y" cut then I make sure I have a good clean cut right next to the antler burr. I place my air chisel where the cut was made and just start peeling the hide back. It beats the heck out of the twisting motion and the pressure you have to use when manually doing it with a screwdriver. Just be careful you can chip a small piece out of the antler burr but this is very rare. If you care chances are it will never happen. It's only happened to me and it was my fault. Once I go around the antler burr each way I may use my knife for a very small portion to complete breaking it free. The task it just much easier if you do this.

Anyway this video is very short but you should get the idea. Sorry for the quality at the beginning. I had to hold my phone, the deer, and use the air chisel at the same time. Maybe next time I will ask my wife to hold the camera!!

http://youtu.be/Fhb3H4C8bTw

2. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

interesting!

3. Wish I could show a full video but not enough hands!

4. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Always had in the back of my head to come up with a better way to do that..... and looks like you did it!!

5. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

I'm gonna try it.

6. Maybe we can call it the "Marqua Method" of skinning deer. Once you do try it you will be amazed how easy skinning skinning around the antler burrs becomes.

Funny story I will share. When I came up with the method I had a helper skinning deer in my shop working. I wasn't around for a bit so I didn't have the chance to show him what I came up with. After he skinned deer for a couple of hours I arrived back at the shop. I jumped in and started skinning. I broke out my air chisel and started using it. He just looked at me with the dumbfounded look!! LOL! He told me he had been using a screwdriver for two hours and I was just now letting him in on the secret. I said rookies had to learn the hard way first!