1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tan or Freeze?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 8Point, Dec 8, 2014.

  1. 8Point

    8Point Member

    165
    0
    I have 3 capes that have been pickled, shaved and are back in the pickle and are ready to accept the tan as of tonight. I plan to mount the capes this upcoming weekend. Would you move forward with the tan process and freeze or would it matter if I just leave them in the pickle until later in the week and then tan to avoid the freeze and thaw step in the process? If not, does it matter what the PH is at this point if I plan to just store in the pickle until I plan to tan?
     
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

    Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

    Either way will work well. I would choose not to freeze if it were me for no reason other than I don't like to wait for things to thaw.
     

  3. 8Point

    8Point Member

    165
    0
    I agree. What do you think about the PH level? Is that as critical this far in the process?
     
  4. 8Point

    8Point Member

    165
    0
    When I say that I agree I mean about not liking to wait for thawing. Thawing sucks.
     
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

    Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

    Just maintain the pH at the level the pickle instructions call for. Mine calls for 1.5 to 2 and that's where I keep it.
     
  6. twinrivers

    twinrivers Active Member

    I would tan it two days before you want to mount it. Maybe Thursday night put in tan, take it out Friday afternoon and oil/sweat a few hours. Wipe oil off before bed and put in fridge till morning when ready to mount.
     
  7. 8Point

    8Point Member

    165
    0
    Thank you very much! I'm going to try and maintain the PH then tan on Thurs. Thanks again!