1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why doesn't anyone do it this way on here???

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 8Point, Dec 9, 2014.

1. 8Point

8Point Member

When I learned how to Mount deer I shadowed a local guy. He uses the short version of the tanning process where the pickle is eliminated. He simply rough fleshes, salts for a couple of hours, washes hide, rubs tan cream in, let's sit for 1 day in cool temp, shaves and finishes fleshing lips etc then washes and freezes.... Done. He gets max stretch and eliminates a HUGE part of the process.... Pickling. I asked him the other day if he has had any issues. He said that he hasn't and has been doing it that way for 13 yrs. I've seen his quality and it appears to be above average (at least from what I see...) If it works that well I don't know why anyone would do it any different..... Plus how the heck can the tan cream mfg get by with this process printed on thrir label as an alternative option to pickling??? That's like saying that there are 2 acceptable options: Oprion 1 includes steps 1-10 and Oprion 2 includes steps1-2 and 8-10. How can that be?..... Is this process similar to Krowtan? What do you think of the above process? Anyone use it??

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Simply put...its not tanned. Is it stabilized? Cured? Good enough? Maybe. Personally i prefer to pickle for many reasons and use a tan thats pH compatible with the neutralized skin. I like the feel and workability of the skin, etc.

3. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Bill knows a little about what he's talking about.

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Rub that cream on a raw hamburger. Sure, the bugs wont touch it...it might not rot....but inside it's still raw hamburger. That's my opinion anyway.

5. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    8point, why worry about taking short cuts .............. that may or may not work? I've been pickling hides for 25 years with no issues. My advise to you is research the tanning process in depth and find out why things are done the way they are done. And after your studies make your decision based on what is best for you and your customers. Greg I like your comment!!!!

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

8pt, your problem seems to be that you haven't worked with a properly tanned hide yet. You need to see and work with the differences to become a believer...

7. 8Point

8Point Member

Thank you very much everyone! Everything you said has made sense. And yes I agree..... I think I need to see what a properly tanned hide looks like..... I think I'll call around to see if some local taxidermists will give me a look at one....

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have done it both ways with Liqua tan. I by far prefer pickling. Much nicer hide to work with.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

A pickle allows a tan to be "accepted" in and through the skin. And yes, Bill does know what he's talking about, sometimes.lol

10. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I think I know what product you are using and I have used it both ways. Pickling by FAR makes a better hide. Most taxidermists find a way that they like and they use it because it works for them. I use Krowtann at this time...but I have used Dry Preserve, Liqua-Tan with and without pickle, McKenzie Tan, Rinehart Tan, Van Dykes Curatan, Wet & Dry Commercial Tan over 30 years all with varying degrees of success. There are guys doing excellent work with Dry Preserve as well...I can't. I find that Krowtann is the EASIEST vs QUALITY for commercial gameheads, BUT there is a learning curve and many guys on here can't use it well. You have to have some "tanning" ability.

IMO using a tanning cream without pickle requires a certain level of skill most beginners cannot pull off. I have done it and it works, but it isn't preferable.

There is a reason most top guys use a tanned cape.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Suppose you shadowed a drunk/drug addict that has been a bum for 13 years, but gets by ok with it. Would you question the life of sobriety and a healthy living lifestyle? Just because you were taught one way, doesn't make that one way, the best way.

An acid pickled skin, is sanitized from dekay.

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

That is deep.

13. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I find it shallow.... ;)

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I know a little bit for sure. Me and Matt colaborate to get the rest haha. Jim made a good point, one i was trying to make. Its often just preference vs performance.

15. I started my in house tanning with the paint on tans, But I found better and more reliable methods .