1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wet vs dry

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Quackaholic, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Quackaholic

Quackaholic New Member

How many of you guys or gals sew birds up completely blow dried compared to putting them on the form wet. and what are some of your reasonings for the method you go with

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Wet for me. Easier to sew, but you better make sure it's completely clean first.

3. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

Dry

Why take a chance on that ONE little spot of goo you didnt see the first time.

4. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    I blow dry first. Reason I do is incase I miss a blood clot or the feather ends are freyed from not rinsing enough. Thay way they can be re washed with out having to cut all the sewing I just did.

5. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

dry here as well I want to not have to deal with a wet bag of feathers rolling around on a bench top. Tried wet once.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

dry, I do a lot of grooming and posing from the inside before sewing up

7. akvz

akvz New Member

Usually dry for the above stated reasons but I will run a damp cloth along where I'm sewing to make it a little easier, especially on thin skinned birds, and then blow dry again after I'm done to help with grooming.

8. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Just sewed up my first bird wet. Can't say that it is any easier or harder but I do agree that you better make sure your bird is clean or you will be re-sewing.

9. Quackaholic

Quackaholic New Member

Thank you for your responses. I was taught wet to form then sew. But i always seem to be
    Fighting the weight of the wet skin and results in tearing and a major headache. I am going to try
    Drying first and see if that helps at all. Thanks again for the help

10. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    I do wet the feathers around the incision to keep them out of the way, then blow dry just thay part.

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I have always finished the bird dry

12. Dry. All of the down has to be completely dry. This helps support the feathers and will make grooming much easier. Mist or paint the skin with water to keep it moist as needed.

13. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Tumble and sew, then blow dry

14. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Dry first , one thing I am doing more of with great results is pickling after degreasing and washing, skin is staying pumped up and workable even in 30c heat , did a parrot skin that had been frozen for 10 years , worked a treat

15. I like to blow it dry then when I'm ready to sew it up I'll add a little acetone around the area to let the feathers lay down out of the way then blow that area dry when done! Works good for me!!