1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

paint

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by TaxidermyTH, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Hi, i was wondering what colors every ones uses for their wood duck beaks and feet and their teal feet. i haven't found a color that looks realistic for the wood duck beaks or the feet of a teal. if someone can tell me about what colors or how to mix them it would help out a lot, thanks.

2. Jake L

Jake L New Member

I use the polytranspar paints & the paint schedule from Breakthrough's finishing waterfowl manual...I learned a trick from Ted Weyenburg...use water based paints but thin with acetone...it really does the trick with the cadinium red...for the feet again polytranspar paint lacquer or water based depending on my mood using yellow ochre, teal yellow or waterfowl yellow...try using a wash of raw umber thinned with turpentine...not only does it give good scale detail on the legs & feet it turns the yellow down to the right shade...JMO...maybe some of the real bird ppl will help out better lol

3. Sprigman

Sprigman Member

Not sure if your using reference but pretty straight forward on the colors of a Woodduck bill and BTW ducks don't have beaks they have bills. Sorry couldn't resist.

Attached Files:

4. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

It's called learning to blend color.

5. Thanks, I'm ordering my paints right now. And yes I'm using reference its just my red that usually looks unrealistic. And I'm trying to learn to blend Colors correctly

6. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

BJones right on!!! I use yellow ochre then mist on chocolate brown for wood duck feet then wash with black water base,before sealing

7. What Color do y'all use for the red on a wood duck? It always ends up really bright and unrealistic for me.

8. Jake L

Jake L New Member

I use water base cadmium red thinned with acetone then a light coat of Krylon matte finish after painting is completed...just how I do it