1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

coyote base

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by AndyB, Jun 26, 2007.

1. AndyB

AndyB New Member

i have a coyote form that will be on basically the same base as shown in the picture. This is my idea was to take Great Stuff expanding foam ( i cant afford 2 part) and carve a rock out of it then cover it in moss. The problem i seem to have is what should i cover the rest of the ground with? I don't want to use moss on the whole thing because i think it will look weird.
    [​IMG]
    Any help would be great

2. use a earth base, [when you having your garage sale]... :)

3. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    try this build a framework of 2x4's plywood and chicken wire or hardware cloth to the sahpe you want then you can either burlap and plaster then rockmic over that or you can fiberglass mat and resin then throw dirt on it befores it cures. you will have to research the info on this.

4. AndyB

AndyB New Member

ok i will see what i can do, sorry about my dirty shop lol i will try and clean things up a bit.

5. AndyH

AndyH New Member

Andy,
    I would start with the finished rock, and then add patches of moss in various spots, and dirt in the low spots.
    Try taking a hike in the woods and locating some rock like the type you are trying to replicate. Or you could probably find pictures on the net. If all else fails, I might be able to get a picture of some moss covered rocks for you.
    Hope that helps -

6. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Alright i already have the rock in mind, the hardest part i have is the base floor all dirt? i was thinking along the lines of some leaves on the ground and some sticks but not over do it.

7. oneshot

oneshot Member

Paint the ground base dark brown. Apply watered down elmers glue. Sprinkle dried dirt on it. Let it dry for a few days. Apply more elmers glue. Sprinkle pine needles on the glue. Spray the needles with 3m adhesive. Let it dry.
    Oneshot

8. AndyB

AndyB New Member

3m adhesive is sold at like a local art supply store? i will try that thanks every one it will be a little bit before i get to this because i have some other things to work on first but just wanted some ideas thanks