1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Game head of the week question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Spysar, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Spysar

Spysar Member

I'll start by saying, I'm not a taxidermist, but I do have lots of mounts.

Game head of the week is always my favorite thread, and I use it to pick my forms for my own mount. It would be nice if folks stated what form, but whatever...

So my question is, why is it called game head of the week? Shouldn't it be game head of the month? It seems lately the thread is once a month. Or does it go weekly in the busy season(now)?

2. If the others are like me this is a crazy :eek: busy time of year taking in, paperwork, skinning, caping, prepping everything that comes in so not much mounting gets done. Normally being a one woman show I would try to have two game heads a week going and maybe a duck or bobcat etc. so every couple weeks I could contribute to game head of the week. An example of the last few days around here would be... Taking in from 1 up to 6 a couple weeks ago deer daily, plus skinning the ones from the day before. I try to get as much prep work done as I can before freezing so that may mean fleshing, turning, etc. yesterday I fleshed and turned a bobcat and skinned 2 more cats and a deer. Hard to get anything mounted for me this time of year. Idk about the others but I think that's why game head is slower right now.

3. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

No offense intended here guys, so don't take this wrong. I'm not sure what either of you are talking about... but maybe I can help.

Spysar, you have been a member of taxinet for a long time.. If you have been a member that long, and have been a big fan of GHOTW, you surely know the thread has been weekly for years until the last 10 months, give or take. As I explained in the actual thread, Bill has not been able to keep up with it weekly due to his hectic schedule. So, I intend to open the thread every week as it has always been.

Secondly, I know several taxidermists who post the form along with photos, I myself have done it in 99% of my post over the years (I just forgot on last post), so I'm not sure why you haven't seen that...

Here's a little insight. This site was originally created by taxidermists for taxidermists, alot of whom recognize the forms, manufacturers and even the artist who did the work with no notification. Are there potential clients or new taxidermists who frequent this site? Yes, but it is no ones responsibility to do the leg work for you and post make and models. Try complimenting the taxidermists who are doing the work you like and ask about the form if it's not listed.

Lastly, yes it is busy this time of year but that never stopped the flow in years past.

My Best,
    Steve

4. Spysar

Spysar Member

Thanks DSC, and Steven. I admire both your work.

I have been a member for a while. I started here when I started a beetle colony and did lots of skulls. I don't have beetles at this time.

But I am a very avid deer hunter. I'm the type of guy you would all love to have as a customer. I'm prompt, I pay, I have done up to four whitetails a year, and have had custom work done. There are probably lots like me.

So I have noticed the form posted many times, I just wanted to point out how helpful it is for a customer like me to pick a form. I'm sure all you taxy's out there have to listen to everyones deer story and look at catalogs for extended time. Time is money. Wouldn't it be nice if a customer walks in and says, I'll take form X, pays a deposit and leaves so you can continue working?

And I haven't been on for a whole lot the last ten months so I missed what was happening with the thread. I figured I would ask on a separate thread, and not on the actual GHOTW thread.

5. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Form X might not fit. Pictured form might be altered. Results differ per taxidermist. Its good to have a dialogue, so a shared understanding can be reached, IMO. Like Steve says, you can always contact the taxidermist and ask, and probably they'll be more than happy to share that info.......even if you intend to bring your business elsewhere.

Best, Scott